1 Reply Latest reply on Aug 27, 2018 1:09 PM by Andrew Blake

Tableau Error: "Unable to evaluate JSON path expression with the given JSON payload" when connecting to Google Sheets

Andrew Blake

I am trying to link to Google Sheets, but suddenly I cannot connect to certain sheets that previously I had been linking to without problem. (As a note, these particular sheets import JSON data from another source.) I click the Google Sheets connection tab in the Tableau data pane, enter my Google credentials, and then get the error, "Unable to evaluate JSON path expression with the given JSON payload." It used to be that, at this point, I could do the workaround by ignoring the error and searching the name of my sheet, and I'd find it just fine. However, now when I search the sheet either cannot be found or I get another "Unable to evaluate JSON path expression with the given JSON payload" error.

Just to be sure, I created a test sheet with some dummy data and tried connecting it to Tableau in the same way. This works just fine.

I have absolutely no idea what caused the sudden change for my first Google Sheets. Has anybody ever encountered this error in the same situation before where it worked for a bit and then stopped?

Screen Shot 2018-08-17 at 12.40.15 PM.png