1 Reply Latest reply on Aug 27, 2018 7:46 AM by Matt Coles

vizalert installing on Linux tableau version 2018.x

Luca Domenella

hi folks

im a newbie with tableau (not a good introduction hu ?) and my data manager asked me to install vizalert. Looks promising but the documentation leave me with several questions (doubts), so i decided to ask here: (the right place no?)

- where should i extract the tgz ? here: /var/opt/tableau/tableau_server/data/tabsvc ?

- which user do i need to use to extract it without having permissions issues ? tbadm or tableau ?

- after i changed thevizalerts.yaml file and subsituted the \ with / for the directories, on the documentation say: to perform the following steps:

1) tabadmin configure - which command is that ? i dont see any similarity with tsm configure commands or at least i miss the set to do

2) tabadmin restart - now this one should be: tsm restart

- i will have all running on the same host, do i need to run this anyway ? tabadmin set wgserver.trusted_hosts <HOSTNAME OF VIZALERTS HOST> (or tsm equivalnet command)

- where in the documentation are listed all the required modules (python) as listed in the documentation

now im stucked after i created the password for the readonly user on the repository

ive gone through several docs and posts but im not sure im doing right

regards

Luca

• 1. Re: vizalert installing on Linux tableau version 2018.x
          Matt Coles

Hi Luca! VizAlerts works with Linux, but was built and tested in a Windows environment, so our documentation tends to follow that pattern.

- where should i extract the tgz ? here: /var/opt/tableau/tableau_server/data/tabsvc ?

I wouldn't put it there. VizAlerts does not need to be on the same machine as Tableau Server, and the folder you install it into is generally irrelevant. But I'd definitely not put it into any of the Tableau Server locations.

- which user do i need to use to extract it without having permissions issues ? tbadm or tableau ?

You only need rights to the path you're putting it into--which, again, should not be any of the Tableau paths!

- after i changed thevizalerts.yaml file and subsituted the \ with / for the directories, on the documentation say: to perform the following steps:

1) tabadmin configure - which command is that ? i dont see any similarity with tsm configure commands or at least i miss the set to do

2) tabadmin restart - now this one should be: tsm restart

You're right, the documentation needs to be updated for the new TSM feature in Tableau Server. You shouldn't have to run "configure" in a TSM world anymore, I believe.

- i will have all running on the same host, do i need to run this anyway ? tabadmin set wgserver.trusted_hosts <HOSTNAME OF VIZALERTS HOST> (or tsm equivalnet command)

Yes, you still have to tell Tableau Server to trust itself.

- where in the documentation are listed all the required modules (python) as listed in the documentation

VizAlerts/install_guide.md at master · tableau/VizAlerts · GitHub

Let me know if you have more questions! Good luck!

Matt

1 of 1 people found this helpful