2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 17, 2018 10:04 AM by Ritesh Bisht

Tableau Speed: Will Tableau work faster if I have more RAM on my computer?

tarang.patel.3

I am currently running with 16GB RAM, but it takes 7 minutes to open my file and often 2-3 minutes when I wanted to add/remove a measure. If I get a computer with more RAM will it work faster?

Thanks for your input!

• 1. Re: Tableau Speed: Will Tableau work faster if I have more RAM on my computer?
          Naveen B

Hi Tarang,

Are you working on Live Connection ?

because live connections will take this much time and its totally dependent on the network interaction between tableau and your database server more your network is good more fast it would be

If it is extract?

Yeah with the increase of RAM your performance will increase

Hope this helps kindly mark this as helpful/correct so that it will help others

BR,

NB

• 2. Re: Tableau Speed: Will Tableau work faster if I have more RAM on my computer?
            Ritesh Bisht

Hi Tarang ,

You will probably experience some performance gains by upgrading your hardware. I do not recommend upgrading just yet though.

I'm not precisely certain what would be slowing down your views or where the issue is occurring. It could simply be network related. Before purchasing a new computer I would strongly recommend taking a performance recording to see what is causing load times to be slow. Additionally, I recommend taking a look at this article: 6 Tips to Increase Dashboard Performance

Follow the blog and see if you can find some areas where performance can be improved.

As for utilizing GPUs, Tableau does use accelerated graphics for rendering views. Data visualization currently requires a lot of read activity on the disk though, a task that a GPU cannot handle. Additionally, data transfer often happens over a network, another area where GPUs are unable to assist with accelerating.

Full post here --->Tableau Performance with Mac Pro - Experiences?

Please mark the answer as 'helpful' if it assisted you to the resolution or mark both 'Helpful & Correct' if it has resolved your query.

Thanks,

Ritesh