2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 17, 2018 4:45 AM by Sai Sri B

Performance Issue: Summary to Detail

Sai Sri B

Hi Team,

I have a summary table which has 30000 records and I created a bar chart out of it. It works so good so far.

Issue: I created a detail report against detail table which has 5M records and I implemented drill from Bar chart(summary Table with 30000 records) to Detail report (Detail table with 5M records). When I click on a particular bar then its taking very long time to go to detail report.

Can you please suggest how can I fix this performance issue?

• 1. Re: Performance Issue: Summary to Detail
          Ritesh Bisht

Hi Sai Sri B,

Difficult to give  a direct solution here but I can suggest you few things.

I am not sure how are you using the drill-down here but I guess that you are drilling down to millions of records which might not be a good design

5M records is little on the higher side.

1) Is there anyway to control that volume (can we filter it at data-source level ) ?

2) Can you limit the data by applying extract filters ?

3) Are you using live connection or extract ?

4) You action is trying to scan the big table ,hence it might be taking long time.

5) Instead of drilling down try to make use of Action filters which can avoid FULL TABLE SCAN ---->Filter Actions

I would recommend you to review the way you are connection to data-source first.

After that you can practise best Performance Tuning rules ---->6 Tips to Increase Dashboard Performance

Thanks,

Ritesh

Please mark the answer as HELPFUL/CORRECT if it really helped you so that it can help others as well , help the community back

• 2. Re: Performance Issue: Summary to Detail
            Sai Sri B

Hi Ritesh,

Thanks for reply.

I implemented below tips you suggested but I didn't see any improvement. Please see my comments below:

1) Is there anyway to control that volume (can we filter it at data-source level ) ?:

Comment: Current version dashboard shows last 6 months data. For last 6 months, my transactional database has 5M records

2) Can you limit the data by applying extract filters ?

Comment: Yes, I did for few filters

3) Are you using live connection or extract ?

Comment: Extract

4) You action is trying to scan the big table ,hence it might be taking long time.

5) Instead of drilling down try to make use of Action filters which can avoid FULL TABLE SCAN

Comment: I used Action filter to navigate from Summary to detail report

Please suggest if I can do anything more to improve the performance.