6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 15, 2018 7:53 PM by David Wang

Word Wrapping text

David Wang

Hello,

Is there any work around to have the words wrap around based on the length of the cell? I'm trying to get the words to wrap around when I shorten the length of the row, but it's not wrapping the words. I need to make this dashboard at around the length size of 940 or under since that's how wide the page is and I want to have all the states shown on the x-axis. The font I have set to the x-axis is at 7 and the font I have set to on the filter table is at 8. Any smaller and it would make it difficult for the user to see the font.

I'm attaching the workbook in this post in case you need to use it for reference and testing. When you look at the filter table, I need to keep it in this format to help me with the highlighting aspect of the table since I want the rows to not be dimmed when an item is selected. I've tried the other method without using a blank field, but the other rows turn yellow when a row is selected. Again, if there is a way to work around this word wrapping issue please let me know.

• 1. Re: Word Wrapping text
          Don Wise

Hi David,

Please see below example and newly attached (sheet named example). It looks like there's some custom sizing techniques being used in your current version.  The example version doesn't require those types of settings and all parameters for formatting are showing as Custom for Word Wrap.  Also, to make this work, one needs to pull down a little on the vertical sizing in order for word wrap to then take effect.

Thx, Don

Screen Shot 2018-08-15 at 3.18.01 PM.png

• 2. Re: Word Wrapping text
            David Wang

Hello Don,

What version of Tableau are you using? I can't seem to open your workbook since it's using a version that is higher than mine. I'm using version 10.5. Is there any way you can downgrade your workbook to my version?

David

• 3. Re: Word Wrapping text
              Don Wise

Hi David,

Sure...no problem...newly attached as 10.5 for you. 

The warnings about version differences appears to have been suppressed again with this latest version of Tableau. 

Thx, Don

• 4. Re: Word Wrapping text
                David Wang

Hello Don,

It seems that the example you provided does not also include the blank fields that I have in the Table filter, which loses the highlighting feature for my filter table. Is there no way to keep that on and still apply the word wrapping to the table?

This is what I am talking about when doing the highlight feature for my table. I need to have this so that my table can remove the dimness from the other rows when the user selects a row. I want the table to be able to have the highlight feature and word wrap when I decrease the width of the table.

• 5. Re: Word Wrapping text
                  Don Wise

Hi David,

I gave it a go, but not sure it will meet your requirements.  If a user selects a topic, the others will now gray out, but still keeps word wrapping.

Please see newly attached. 

The core issue will be that the font size isn't changeable.  I tried everything to bring it back to original sizing.  You'l need to decide if its worth the trade-off...

Thx, Don

• 6. Re: Word Wrapping text
                    David Wang

Hello Don,

Alright. Thanks for your help. If anything I tried changing the font on the x-axis of the graph. It helped a bit.

David