3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 15, 2018 11:55 PM by Maged Shafike

Over write dashboard with keeping same permission

Maged Shafike

Hi

Hope you are all doing well,

I have an issue about the privilege,In my work under one of particular site there are two projects(Production and User_Test)

In case If in each project have same dashboard with difference user permissions

e.g

Project >> Production >> Dashboard_1 >> User(A,B) Custome

Project >> User_Test  >> Dashboard_1 >> User(C) Interactor

My question is:

Is it possible if I move Dashboard_1 from project User_Test over write on what existed in Production and keep User(A,B) same as it? and if not how can i do it?

Best Regards

Maged

• 1. Re: Over write dashboard with keeping same permission
          Santiago Sanchez

Hi Maged,

Following best practices, I'd configure the permissions at the project level and lock them. For instance:

If configured that way, any workbooks living in the project will follow those permissions.Therefore, you can publish any workbooks on the right project and you can make sure it follows the right permissions. It's harder to enforce that when you manage permissions at the workbook level.

That said, if you have your permissions setup on the workbook, you can re-publish (from either Tableau Desktop or Web Authoring) and overwrite the workbook in the production project. The permissions would be inherited as you are effectively adding a new revision of the workbook, as opposed to erasing the old one and creating a new one.

Hope this helps!

Santiago

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Over write dashboard with keeping same permission
            Ankit Patel

From my understanding to keep the User permission I would rather download the Dashboard from User_Test and republish it to Production - keeping the dashboard name same - this will allow you to keep the inherited permission already existing on Production.

If this response helps then please mark it accordingly so others can benefit from it.

Best regards,

Ankit

2 of 2 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Over write dashboard with keeping same permission
              Ankit Patel

We must be typing at the same time - either case we both are on the same path :-)

1 of 1 people found this helpful