3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 14, 2018 1:33 PM by Ken Flerlage

New to Tableau. How to Group Data

Chirag Gandhi

Hi everyone,

I am new to Tableau and I was just wondering how to group data. So in my attachment, under the Group column, I have 5 stages: Stage 1 - 5. Also under the State column, you can see the different data such as In use, In stock, or Retired. I need to group them according to my second attachment. How would I go about doing this? Should I group them in Alteryx before visualizing it in Tableau?

• 1. Re: New to Tableau. How to Group Data
          Ankit Patel

Ideally you can do this in Tableau. You would be using Tableau's Group feature and creating sub-groups as per need. If the column labels are not changing every time you have to refresh the data along with pre-set Group's then you don't need to do this upfront in Alteryx. If either are going to be changing then better to clean up in Alteryx first.

Bit hard to explain without sample data set - if you can provide a sample dataset then we can put together a viable solution in Tableau Desktop and share it back.

Best regards,

Ankit

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: New to Tableau. How to Group Data
            Chirag Gandhi

Right, I was just playing around with Tableau and created this. It's what I want but when I add up everything, I get 26,443. There are 28,360 records although some are duplicated multiple times. Does Tableau automatically get rid of the duplicated records?

• 3. Re: New to Tableau. How to Group Data
              Ken Flerlage

If you want to count the records, then try replacing the "CNT(Asset Period)" measure with "SUM(Number of Records)" You can do this by just dragging Number of Records on top of it.

1 of 1 people found this helpful