11 Replies Latest reply on Aug 27, 2018 5:34 PM by Chris McClellan

Has anyone done a bake-off of Tableau vs Oracle's Data Visualizer?

Mike Brown

Tableau appears more powerful at first blush, but as an Oracle shop without Essbase, ODV support OBIEE cubes and the constraints on number of columns with Tableau is unsettling.  If anybody has documented pros and cons I would like to see them before I make an Enterprise decision.

• 1. Re: Has anyone done a bake-off of Tableau vs Oracle's Data Visualizer?
          Ken Flerlage

Honestly, I've never even heard of ODV, so I can't give you a fair comparison. But I can say that Tableau is probably the top Data Visualization software on the market, so I'm quite doubtful that ODV would hold up against it. That said, perhaps we can help to address any concerns you may have about Tableau. Do you have any specific concerns?

• 2. Re: Has anyone done a bake-off of Tableau vs Oracle's Data Visualizer?
            Mike Brown

Actually as this is my third day using and researching Tableau I am already challenging some of my pre-conceptions.  Just read the three part series on extracting to Tableau data stores and I am wondering if the inability to connect to OBIEE cubes is really that great a loss given the capabilities of Tableau to architect star-schema type cubes on the fly in memory.  Also I am already starting to appreciate the power of the Tableau community wrt responsiveness, passion, and caring.  That is not something that can be over-stated when choosing an Enterprise solution.  I must admit that the arbitrary column limitation that I ran into on day one spooked me, but again conceding that I have only been using Tableau for three days, I would love to find out that I am totally missing something here.

As to Oracle Data Visualizer, I wouldn't expect anyone who is not an OBIEE user to have experience with it,

Finally, I concede that in my role as COO/CIO, I get very little time to play with these tools, but I will always be a programmer at heart!

• 3. Re: Has anyone done a bake-off of Tableau vs Oracle's Data Visualizer?
              Peter Fakan

Hi Mike,

Glad things are going well for you. Did you get around the column limitation ? (Analysis > Table Layout > Advanced > change maximum levels of columns)

HTH

Peter

• 4. Re: Has anyone done a bake-off of Tableau vs Oracle's Data Visualizer?
                Ken Flerlage

Good news. And you are right on about the community. It's one of the things that really stands out about Tableau .

• 5. Re: Has anyone done a bake-off of Tableau vs Oracle's Data Visualizer?
                  Mike Brown

Thanks, Peter.  I did find that setting before and changed the max columns from 6 to 16 but it didn’t affect the behavior of the hierarchical compression when I added more than 6 measures.  I did get another post that said to use measure values rather than converting measures to discrete.  At this point I don’t understand the difference but I will check it out.

• 6. Re: Has anyone done a bake-off of Tableau vs Oracle's Data Visualizer?
                    Ken Flerlage

I think it's also important to somewhat rethink how you wish to do your reporting. While text tables are important a lot of the time, especially if you're doing operational reporting, visual reporting methods are often much more insightful. Tableau is definitely designed to push you towards a more visual representation of your data. That being said, if you are trying to do a lot of text tables, you will probably have some struggles. But, if you try to rethink your reporting a bit and transition to a more visual display of data, then I think you'll find that Tableau is second-to-none.

• 7. Re: Has anyone done a bake-off of Tableau vs Oracle's Data Visualizer?
                      Ken Flerlage

Hi, just following up to see if we have adequately addressed your question. If so, could you please mark one of the responses as the correct answer? If not, please let us know how else we can help. Thanks!

• 8. Re: Has anyone done a bake-off of Tableau vs Oracle's Data Visualizer?
                        Mike Brown

I would normally just close this out as answered based on the exchange about the power of the Tableau community and all the goodies like the on-line training, etc.  Oracle Data Visualizer simply doesn't have this leverage in the marketplace.  The response I got about using measure names and values definitely helps, but for the life of me, I can't see the impact in upping the number of columns from 6 to 16 wrt the compression of my hierarchical dimensions.  Your suggestion about focusing more on the visualization that the text tables is good but not sufficient as textual results are still the most fundamental need for data and visualization is very valuable in terms of turning data into information.  I would never abandon Tableau in favor of ODV based on the above, but I am very disappointed with what appears to be a silly and arbitrary limitation.  I guess if I could get the 16 columns to work, I would fell a lot better.

• 9. Re: Has anyone done a bake-off of Tableau vs Oracle's Data Visualizer?
                          Ken Flerlage

Where exactly are you struggling with increasing the number of columns? How can we help?

• 10. Re: Has anyone done a bake-off of Tableau vs Oracle's Data Visualizer?
                            Mike Brown

I responded to another post that I got the bump to 16 columns working by upping the maximum level of row labels as per attached so I am satisfied to at least get to 16.

• 11. Re: Has anyone done a bake-off of Tableau vs Oracle's Data Visualizer?
                              Chris McClellan

Maybe I'm simplifying the question, but if you're trying to get more than 16 dimension columns to work properly ... "you're looking at it wrong".  Tableau is a visualisation tool, and huge text tables just aren't Tableau's forte.

But why do you need 16 columns ?

- Do you need "all the data" to find the right row, then filter it instead

- Do you need to "export the data for further analysis", then don't export and do proper analysis in Tableau

- Do you need to load the data into another system, then don't use Tableau at all.  It shouldn't be used as part of an ETL process (no matter how manual the process is )

When I first started using Tableau I wasn't a fan of the limitation either and most of my work was custom SQL (because I knew how to do that and it was better than using the Tableau GUI) .... WOW was I wrong and I've learned over the years what proper data visualisation is and how efficient Tableau can be when you just "point it at the database" but don't tell it how it must query the database.

Yes, people might still want big text tables.  To a point you can do these in Tableau but if they simply want to export them for another system then Tableau won't work well in that scenario and if they want to pour over the data to find insights then there's your opportunity to really, properly visualise the data so that the outliers stand out quicker & easier.

I hope that helps

1 of 1 people found this helpful