3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 13, 2018 9:10 PM by lei.chen.0

Hyperlink a Specific Data Point

Robert Lopez

Hello,

I have multiple columns with multiple individual names. I want to hyperlink each name to a specific URL.

Column 1,2 and 3 have 20 names within them all the same but in random order. When a user clicks on a name, it needs to go to a specific URL. How can this be done?

I can add one hyperlink to the entire sheet by using the action function but how do I set it up so that it states, if you select John, go to XYZ. Also, how can I then copy this rule or action to all the others with ease? (there aren't only 3 columns an 20 names, more like 30 and 20k)

Everything I've looked up on how an action is achieved points me to each row having to have a hidden field within that row with a specific URL.This doesnt work as I have multiple columns.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• 1. Re: Hyperlink a Specific Data Point
          lei.chen.0

Hello Robert,

The function to use is URL Actions

Just as you can use variables in the name of the URL, you can also use field values and filter values as parameters in the URL. That means that you can send information about each selected mark or filter setting to a given website.

Please attach a sample workbook, since the descriptions provided are not enough to figure out if there's a solution / workaround for your requirements.

The following exmaple is based on my assumptions.

If your data and viz look like this, and the request is,

take row_id = 1 for example, click name1 = 'd' and jump to url_1, click name2 = 'b' and jump to url_2,

I don't think it is possible.

image.png

Regards

Lei

• 2. Re: Hyperlink a Specific Data Point
            Robert Lopez

Hi Lei,

Thank you for your quick response.

yes, your example is exactly what I am trying to accomplish.

Based on your response you state it's not possible to do this, correct?

• 3. Re: Hyperlink a Specific Data Point
              lei.chen.0

Hello Robert,

Robert Lopez wrote:

yes, your example is exactly what I am trying to accomplish.

Based on your response you state it's not possible to do this, correct?

I have no idea about how to achieve this.

Hope someone else jumps in and throw light on it

Regards

Lei