3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 13, 2018 5:19 AM by Paulo Dantas

How to delete old extracts on tableau server

Vikram Rathi

Hi,

I wanted to ask how can we delete old extracts from tableau server, is there any cleanup method provided by tableau server or is there some standard approach for this?

Thanks

• 1. Re: How to delete old extracts on tableau server
          Donna Coles

Hi Vikram

I may be mis-interpreting your question, but an extract on Tableau server can either be a published data source or a workbook.  Both of which can be deleted by navigating to the object and clicking the ... menu option and selecting delete

There is no cleanup method provided by Tableau server that will 'automatically' do this for you.  Some people do write their own processes using tabadmin/tabcmd to identify 'old/unused' content by querying the postgres database and then programatically deleting them.  This isn't something I do personally. Instead I have reports that use postgres to identify when workbooks last accessed and then perioidcally these will be manually deleted off the server.

Donna

• 2. Re: How to delete old extracts on tableau server
            Vikram Rathi

I wanted to know how can I delete the files created when I created an extract, basically when I delete an extract from tableau server I want to delete all .hyper files too.

• 3. Re: How to delete old extracts on tableau server
              Paulo Dantas

Hi Vikram,

I think you need make the download from workbook and open on the Tableau Desktop.

There you can delete the extract, just click with right button from mouse behide the datasource and look for Extract -> Remove

Delete_Extract.jpg