3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 27, 2018 6:22 PM by lei.chen.0

Help: How to fix the layout of a treemap

Kenneth Larsen

Hello, is it possible to fix the layout of a treemap.  I use version 10.5.0

Below two maps of the same data.

I prefer Map 1) as it more clearly tell the story I need to tell vs. Map 2

The way I got the green box to the left is to hide the sidebar, when on my laptop. I suspect the layout will change to something

else (perhaps map 2) when i connect my external monitor having higher resolution.

Thanks

Map 1)

Map 2)

• 1. Re: Help: How to fix the layout of a treemap
          lei.chen.0

Hello Kenneth,

The layout is automatically created by Tableau Desktop.

When data changes, the layout changes too.

It has also something to do with the view size.

"Standard" is selected: The treemap auto resizes but maintain aspect ratio.

"Fit Width", "Fit Height" or "Entire View" is selected: The treemap auto resizes, without maintaining aspect ratio, and block positions might also change automatically.

Regards

Lei

• 2. Re: Help: How to fix the layout of a treemap
            Kenneth Larsen

Hi Lei, thanks for the reply.  

I think it would be more useful if it is possible to state where the boxes get placed relative to each other.

In my example the data do not change at all and having all 'green' on the left side tell a much stronger story.   

Apparently the format also change based on screen size/resolution - this is not good if one were to share the workbooks..

• 3. Re: Help: How to fix the layout of a treemap
              lei.chen.0

Hello Kenneth,

Good point.

Kenneth Larsen wrote:

In my example the data do not change at all and having all 'green' on the left side tell a much stronger story.

Apparently the format also change based on screen size/resolution - this is not good if one were to share the workbooks..

It would be confusing when two persons are looking at the same treemap but with different layout and talking about the block "on the left".

You might raise an Ideas .

Regards

Lei