3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 9, 2018 1:35 PM by Jan van Roozendaal

Tableau server admin - You do not permissions to publish

Aishwarya Sawant

Hello,

I have upgrade to tableau server 2018.1 since then i am not able to publish the data source to the server. I am using tableau desktop version 10.5 to develop and publish the data source.

Also, it seems strange as i am able to publish both the workbook and data source together although, i cannot publish a standalone data source.

Has any one seen this problem ?

• 1. Re: Tableau server admin - You do not permissions to publish
          Jan van Roozendaal

Hi,

EDIT: I just saw that the title says Tableau Admin. That changes things up, of course. Did you already try to put https:// in the Tableau Server URL when logging in via Tableau Desktop before trying to publish your data source?

Original post:

Publishing content on Tableau Server has two types: publishing workbooks and publishing data sources seperately. This is because Tableau Server treats workbooks and data sources as two different content types, and each content type has its own set of permissions. So indeed, you could publish packaged workbooks with data sources in them, and it may work.

More info can be found here: Permissions Reference

To publish on Tableau Server translates to the "Save" permission on the permissions reference list.

(My experience is based on Tableau Server 10.5, I'm not sure whether the permission models and its underlying flexibility has changed much with the current re-design of the Site Roles.)

- Jan

• 2. Re: Tableau server admin - You do not permissions to publish
            Aishwarya Sawant

Hi Jan,

Thanks for the reply. Although this was not the case up until the i published the content on Tableau 10.5 server.

Also, as ideally my role is Server Administrator, its strange that Tableau doesn't allow publish right separately for the data source. I can publish both workbook and data source together. Although there are many / 90% of instances that require to publish the data source separately.

• 3. Re: Tableau server admin - You do not permissions to publish
              Jan van Roozendaal

Hi,

I edited my post just shortly before you replied - in case you may have missed it, my suggestion for now is to try and use https:// on the Tableau Server URL when logging in via Tableau Desktop.

Based on my own experience as a Tableau Server Admin, this trick has worked on occasions where permissions were denied during scenarios that it would seem illogical.

- Jan