1 Reply Latest reply on Aug 9, 2018 11:27 AM by Jen Miller

Best Practice fo Tableau Server pointing to text / excel files

Jutaro Kajita

I am one of the team members to create and maintain several tableau dashboards deployed on a tableau server.

Our team is currently craving one of the best practices when a team is managing several dashboards pointing to its local text file (updates weekly or so).

The set-up here is that we have several members with tableau desktop and everyone can publish dashboards from their own tableau desktop.

In terms of publishing under we-have-to-point-to-local-text-files, currently, we have to get the text file and import it on tableau desktop to update the extract, and then, publish the tableau file to the server.

The issues here are:

• To have the weekly update, we need to manually update the latest tableau files. (Want automation with timer)
      • The server is located on aws, and needs to have some ways to update (or upload) text files tableau files point to.

I think active directory or box like file sync solutions can solve this issue but which way is the best?

• 1. Re: Best Practice fo Tableau Server pointing to text / excel files
          Jen Miller

I ended up creating a Folder and giving permission to few where the Tableau Server is installed - i.e. if your is in a VM with Windows Server OS - you can leverage full security by creating the folder in the same directory (not C:) but other where Tab Server is installed.

After permissions have been granted the end Tableau Desktop user needs to use the UNC Path name to connect to the .csv / .txt / .xlsx extra file located on the above mentioned Path. Then publish the workbook but at the time of publishing UN-CHECK - Include External Files option (Keep it Live connection to the file).

https://kb.tableau.com/articles/howto/automatically-updating-data-in-server-workbook-that-uses-live-connection-to-excel

Steps listed:

1. Make sure that the full UNC path is used to connect to the data source in the workbook. Please reference the below Tableau Knowledge Base article for additional information
          and instructions.

2. Check if the data source (i.e., Microsoft Access or Microsoft Excel) is connected to a file located on a shared drive. If the file is located on a shared drive, use the full UNC path. Note: A UNC path is the full path of a resource or file that is stored on the computer, which includes the full computer name, drive, path to the file, and file name. For example, a text file with a
          mapped path to
          D:\datasource.txt has a UNC path that looks like the following: \\workstation1\d$\datasource.txt, where “workstation1” is the full computer name.

3. Check to make sure that the Tableau Server Run As User account has permission to access the file on the shared drive.