4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 9, 2018 6:24 AM by KANTHESH M.D

Regarding a creation of pills

KANTHESH M.D

Hello guys,

I am new to this community and also this is my first discussion,can u help me with this......

I have a question regarding creation of pill using Volcano eruption data set..

The question is:Try to visualize the frequency distribution of the elevation for volcano eruption.Create a histogram dividing elevation using bins of 500 meters.How many eruption are in the 2000-2499 range?

Here i am not able to determine the amount of Eruption....

How can i create a eruption pill for my visualization??

Refer the workbook attached to this discussion.

Thank you

Regards,

Kanthesh

• 1. Re: Regarding a creation of pills
          Jan van Roozendaal

Hi Kanthesh,

In the data set given I would assume that one record equals an individual event of a volcano eruption. You could drag Number of Records in the view as a pill with the SUM() aggregation (Tableau does this by default) and it would represent the distribution of eruptions over the given bins for elevation. The answer won't change compared to your CNT(Elevation), but it is a neater way to represent the number of eruptions.

Let me know if this helps!

- Jan

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Regarding a creation of pills
            KANTHESH M.D

Hi Jan,

Thank you for your replay....

Yes even i tried this way,but the problem is if i do cross data base join then this method is not useful??

Right!

Regards,

Kanthesh

• 3. Re: Regarding a creation of pills
              Jan van Roozendaal

Much will depend on your original data structure. Best practice is to keep one row (or record, excuse my poor knowledge of proper naming)  to represent one instance of some sort of event. In worst case scenario you could add a flag column on the table which contains some value (like '1' as integer) that represents the different volcano eruptions. When joining that table with another one, given the outcome of your join type operation, you can do a count of the flags to know how many volcano eruptions are left after the joins, so you know how many rows from your original table (volcano eruptions) are left after doing a Full Join or Right Outer/Right Excluding Join. Of course, when you are doing a Left/Inner Join, the flag will not serve much purpose because all rows will still have the value '1' for the flag column. Nevertheless, you will be not dependent on pills such as SUM([Number of Records]) or CNT([some dimension]) to repesent the number of volcano eruptions.

Does this clear up some things for you?

- Jan

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Regarding a creation of pills
                KANTHESH M.D

Thank you Jan,It helped me a lot....

Regards,

Kanthesh