5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 6, 2018 7:19 AM by chris monger

Need Help Building a Dynamic Time-Series Map

Yasmin Nouichi

I'm pretty new to Tableau and I was hoping I could get some help on how to build out the following visualization that I'm having a bit of trouble with it.

I have a xls file where in Row A, I have the calendar quarters, in Row B I have the zipcode of a location, and the rest of the row is filled with a variable (In this case "Rent Price per Sqft") pertaining to that particular location. The same for Row C, just a different location.

I want to display this information on a timeseries map where I have a different map for each calendar quarter (so 1985 Q1, 1985 Q2, 1985 Q3, etc) and the two locations highlighted with the variable displayed.

So a map for 1985 Q1 would display a map with two locations (zipcodes) highlighted, and if you mouseover it would display the "rent price" for that quarter. Then using a slider you would be able to move forward in time and see the change in rent prices take place.

I've been playing with it but am having a lot of trouble… if anyone is up for the challenge, I’d really appreciate it!