10 Replies Latest reply on Aug 7, 2018 3:34 AM by Rachana Parmar

Tableau Server access for client

Rachana Parmar

How to go about giving access to clients who are outside corporate network? But, they can be given added to corporate AD. When they are added to AD and they access via corporate VPN, is it as good as internal network access?

I am very new to server so any help is much appreciated.

• 1. Re: Tableau Server access for client
          Naveen B

Hi Rachana,

1) Add the users to Windows AD

2) Synchronize the users in tableau server

3) Use the DNS mapping to map the IP to you Public IP

so that whenever user enters Public address , automatically they can access out of the company network and then can only login if they added to AD

without VPN whenever they open report from internet then they need to give userid and password if its with VPN no need to creds automatically they can login with single sign on SSL

Hope this helps kindly marks this answer as correct/helpful so that it will help others

BR,

NB

• 2. Re: Tableau Server access for client
            Paulo Dantas

Hi Rachana,

this clients will go to your AD group to access Tableau Server using this access method?

If yes, they will access as internal network access.

But, what you mean internal network access?

Cheers.

• 3. Re: Tableau Server access for client
              Rachana Parmar

But, if we are using AD authentication, can they even access server without VPN?

Let's say an internal user wants to access, server - a resource on intranet. And, they are outside corp network. In that case, they first connect to corp network via VPN and then try to access server which authenticates via their AD account.

Does the same sequence of events apply to external users who have AD accounts? There will be no public address for server. It will always be internal. Is this possible?

Or, do we have to have SSL and proxy set up done? Reiterating, that there is no public access needed for the server.

• 4. Re: Tableau Server access for client
                Rachana Parmar

I mean intranet here.

• 5. Re: Tableau Server access for client
                  Naveen B

Yeah Rachana,

1) If users are in the intranet they can access the tableau server , ssl is to enable https along with single sign on, its not mandatory

2) If users are outside of the intranet, then they need to connect to VPN, once they connected to VPN their network will get bypassed with your company network settings, so once after connecting to VPN they will be able to access the server.

Hope this helps kindly marks this answer as correct/helpful so that it will help others

BR,

NB

• 6. Re: Tableau Server access for client
                    Rachana Parmar

Thank you Naveen for quick response.

I want to make sure that I am conveying the scenario clearly.

Now, I am clear on how internal users when accessing Tableau Server from VPN will get to the server.

So, coming back to original question, does the exact same scenario apply to external users who have AD accounts?

Where does following apply? Do I still need SSL/Proxy etc. set up?

"without VPN whenever they open report from internet then they need to give userid and password if its with VPN no need to creds automatically they can login with single sign on SSL"

Thanks!

• 7. Re: Tableau Server access for client
                      Naveen B

Hi Rachana,

If i right if user is part of AD group and not added the server whether he will be able to access or not?

No, every member who want to access must present in the tableau server under users actions

Eg: Naveen is part of enterprise AD group but he is not added to tableau server then naveen wont be able to access

Rachana is part of enterprise AD group and as well user in tableau then rachana can access the tableau server

Arjun is part of enterprise AD with different domain and user of tableau then Arjun can access the tableau server

Reg this:

Where does following apply? Do I still need SSL/Proxy etc. set up?

"without VPN whenever they open report from internet then they need to give userid and password if its with VPN no need to creds automatically they can login with single sign on SSL"

If your server is configured to access from the internet which is outside of your company network and your tableau server is exposed to public then they need to enter the Username and password. , yes for this you need SSL and Proxy setup which is forward proxy or reverse proxy

Check this URL: Configuring Proxies for Tableau Server

BR,

NB

• 8. Re: Tableau Server access for client
                        Rachana Parmar

Thank you for being patient with me and detailed response.

Yes, I am very well clear that just a user having AD account does not give access to Tableau Server. AD account needs to be explicitly added to Tableau Server as a user.

Now, help me with this: An external user with AD account (and added to Tableau server as a user), when he/she accesses Tableau Server, does it count as access over internet? or, as they are always accessing via VPN, it is NOT internet access but intranet access?

I want to understand if even in above scenario, is SSL/Proxy configuration must or not?

• 9. Re: Tableau Server access for client
                          Naveen B

No Need for SSL/Proxy, as they were accessing via VPN its treated as Intranet

In this no need for SSL/proxy settings

BR,

NB

• 10. Re: Tableau Server access for client
                            Rachana Parmar

Thanks for the clarification.