4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 18, 2018 10:49 AM by Ken Flerlage

Geo Coding generation in Tableau

siva Nageswara Rao

Could you let us know how Tableau converting Geo coding into Longitude and Latitude Coordinates. Basically i need that, is it associating with Google MAPs or is there any Mechanism used inside Tableau to generate coordinates?

Thanks,

Siva

• 1. Re: Geo Coding generation in Tableau
          Ken Flerlage

The coordinates are contained within a built-in geocoding database. For more information, see: Get Started Mapping with Tableau

• 2. Re: Geo Coding generation in Tableau
            siva Nageswara Rao

Thanks for your quick response but a built-in geocoding database, Is it present in Tableau Desktop? What is the location of Geocoding database in Tableau?

• 3. Re: Geo Coding generation in Tableau
              Ken Flerlage

It's packaged with the software (Desktop and Server). I am not 100% sure, but I believe that it is not in a database that is necessarily accessible to you--I believe it is part of the software binaries.

Here's the exact text from the link I shared above:

In Tableau, a geographic role associates each value in a field with a latitude and longitude value. When you assign the correct geographic role to a field, Tableau assigns latitude and longitude values to each location in that field by finding a match that is already built in to the installed geocoding database. This is how Tableau knows where to plot your locations on the map.

When you assign a geographic role to a field, such as State, Tableau creates a Latitude (generated) field and a Longitude (generated) field.

Geographic roles are sometimes automatically assigned to your data, such as in this example. You can tell a geographic role has been assigned to your data because the column includes a globe icon.

If a geographic role is not automatically assigned, you can manually assign one to your field. You don't need to do so for this example, but it's important to know how so you can do it for your own data.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Geo Coding generation in Tableau
                Ken Flerlage

Following up on this one. Let us know how we can help further.