4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 3, 2018 2:05 PM by Nagaraja Rao

Tableau custom views not updating even though Original view update

Nagaraja Rao

I have created one custom views and it has region and country hierarchy. I saved the view and I see Mexico under Latin America. Then business updated Mexico under North America. We have done changes at database level and tableau extract completed. Now when I open my custom view it still shows old hierarchy.

I tried to create new view from original view and it works perfect.

Any thoughts?

• 1. Re: Tableau custom views not updating even though Original view update
          Michael Gillespie

Some missing information from your question that would help.

1) What do you mean by "custom view"?  Do you mean a view you have created in your database, or something else?

2) Are you using Tableau Server?  If so, do you have a schedule refresh of the data source so that your extract gets updated automatically?  Or are you ONLY in Tableau Desktop, and the extract refresh is a manual process?

To answer what I think you are asking:

There are 2 different kinds of Refresh in Tableau.

1) A data extract refresh - this is what you are describing in your question.

2) A Workbook refresh of the extracted data.  My guess is that this is your problem.  Once the data extract has been refreshed, you need to force your workbooks and visualizations to reload the refreshed data.  If you are looking at a published workbook on Tableau Server, the "Refresh" link in the toolbar on the left side of the viz is what you want.

• 2. Re: Tableau custom views not updating even though Original view update
            Naveen B

Hi Nagaraja,

I hope you are talking custom views in tableau server like below

Use Custom Views

If that's the case change the view to original and check if the data is still not there or not because custom view you created is on the top of original view with some filters may be that's causing the problem

Check all the filters as well

Hope this kindly mark this as correct/helpful to close the thread

BR,

NB

• 3. Re: Tableau custom views not updating even though Original view update
              Nagaraja Rao

Hi Naveen,

Yes I am talking about custom views created at workbook level.

We have refreshed workbook after changes and all changes reflecting in original view correctly.

But views created earlier still shows old hierarchy and even I clicked on Refresh Button.I can create new View from original view and save. but question here we have lot of users created their own views and this impacted all (I just gave one example but  hierarchy changed for many countries!!).

I hope you got my situation.

Thanks,

Nagaraja.

• 4. Re: Tableau custom views not updating even though Original view update
                Nagaraja Rao

Hi Michael,

I am talking about the custom views created at the tableau server (Workbook level) and extract refreshed successfully and we can see updated data in original Views.

Thanks,

Nagaraja.