7 Replies Latest reply on Aug 3, 2018 2:35 PM by Geoffrey Bell

Custom Comparison Date Parameter

Geoffrey Bell

New to Tableau but have been doing some fairly in depth (where it allows me) work with Data Studio over the past few months. One of the things data studio does pretty easy out of the box is adding deltas to a table, unfortunately the only options for choosing a comparison period are Previous Period or Previous Year. What I'm trying to do in Tableau is create a custom comparison date through a parameter so that I can generate the delta values through calculated fields.

The part where I'm stuck is the custom field. What I want to do is something like (Revenue / Revenue on Day Selected in Parameter - 1) but I don't know what the syntax is to pull the denominator.

Screen Shot 2018-08-02 at 5.06.41 PM.png

If your curious the end result is part of a dash that will display daily business stats compared to a chosen comp day. Ranges like previous period and previous year are useless for our business, it's typically much more relevant to select a day where we offered similar promotions. Thus the need to select a custom date to compare to.

Thanks Guys!