11 Replies Latest reply on Sep 10, 2018 9:01 AM by Michelle Kosmicki

2018.2 Desktop Dashboard Load issues

Michelle Kosmicki

I upgraded to 2018.2 and now I'm having issues with loading dashboards. Dashboards are very slow to load and I have some that will not load, giving me a "just-in-time" debugging error. I was using 2018.1 yesterday with no issues. Anyone else having problems after the upgrade?

I am going to submit a support ticket as well, but thought I'd put this out there in case others were also having issues.

Michelle

• 1. Re: 2018.2 Desktop Dashboard Load issues
          Sean Hoyle

I am experiencing the exact same issue.  Yesterday, I was running 2018.1 just fine and then updated to 2018.2.  Now, I am experiencing a lot of issues with my workbooks, if they open at all.  The new update is having a lot of trouble connecting to by databases.  It seems to effect live sources as well as excel uploads.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: 2018.2 Desktop Dashboard Load issues
            Michelle Kosmicki

Sean....my ticket is now level 2, so hopefully some resolution will come soon. Have you submitted a ticket to support yet?

Ironically, when I was beta testing this version, I was using a copy of the same workbook that will not open now. The other workbooks I tested seem to be working fine. So strange!

Michelle

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: 2018.2 Desktop Dashboard Load issues
              Muteru Mwangi

Hi Michelle,

Any updates on your issue? We are thinking about upgrading to 2018.2 next month.

Thanks!

Muteru Mwangi

• 4. Re: 2018.2 Desktop Dashboard Load issues
                Michelle Kosmicki

I'm working through this with Level 2 support.

Michelle

• 5. Re: 2018.2 Desktop Dashboard Load issues
                  Muteru Mwangi

Hi Sean,

Any updates on the issues you were experiencing? What's your OS?

Thanks!

Muteru Mwangi

• 6. Re: 2018.2 Desktop Dashboard Load issues
                    Muteru Mwangi

Thanks Michelle!

What's your OS?

Muteru

• 7. Re: 2018.2 Desktop Dashboard Load issues
                      Michelle Kosmicki

Windows 10 over here. Not sure if Mac users are in the same boat or not.

• 8. Re: 2018.2 Desktop Dashboard Load issues
                        Michelle Kosmicki

Here is what was determined when working with Support.

1 - Calculation Explosion. Too many calculations in the workbook and performing all of them on open causes an issue. Since the introduction of the .hyper extracts, calculations are no longer automatically written to the extract. It must be manually done now. Including every time you change a calculation. To do this, go to Data --> [Your Data Source] --> Extract --> Compute Calculations Now (sometimes I see Optimize Now).  This does help with speed and performance. As does removing any calculations you do not use and views (worksheets) you do not use.

2 - XML Bloat. Views change, dashboards change, calculations change. Change is part of life. However, Tableau sometimes resists change by hanging onto all that excess XML code that is generated in the background in our workbooks. This can also slow performance and create a workbook to fail to open. If you can get the workbook to open, you can copy the dashboards into a new workbook, which should solve the problem. If you can't get the workbook to open...you have no choice but to rebuild it, better, stronger....the 6 million dollar workbook. (Not really 6 million dollars, that's just what you want to rebuild it, even though you won't see a penny of it.)

3 - Avoid using count distinct whenever possible. The particular workbooks I was having issues with didn't have count distinct in any calculations. However, this was mentioned as something that would help.

4 - This one is from me. Manipulate the data outside of Tableau. I do this with other workbooks when I can. It really does save time and sanity when all you need to display is summary numbers. However, know your data and know what you need to viz. Some math and statistical calculations need the full data set to be accurate. If you are unsure, find someone you can ask...someone who actually knows math and stats.

That I all I know for now. A big shout out to Support who put up with my dozen or so performance recordings and was still ready to sit on the phone with me for an hour to figure this out.

Michelle

• 9. Re: 2018.2 Desktop Dashboard Load issues
                          Muteru Mwangi

Hi Michelle,

Thank you for the detailed report on your issues! Hopefully all your issues are resolved.

Muteru

• 10. Re: 2018.2 Desktop Dashboard Load issues
                            Bill Cumiskey

Thanks very much for the detailed list of issues & resolutions here.  Would you have anything further on why count distinct is frowned upon in 2018.2?  My organization uses that function a decent amount, and we're currently thinking of upgrading to 2018.2.  This sounds concerning.

• 11. Re: 2018.2 Desktop Dashboard Load issues
                              Michelle Kosmicki

Bill,

It was simply that the computation would need to be passed over the entire data file, causing a slow down. We use CountD as well, but not very often. The workbook in question did not have a CountD calc anywhere.

ALSO, In speaking with another Tableau user, they found there was a font bug that was causing some issues. So they changed their fonts from the most common (Truchet, Arial, Calibri, Bookman) to the Tableau fonts (I used Tableau Regular) and their workbooks are working again. Thank goodness for workbook formatting!

Michelle