5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 1, 2018 3:22 PM by alex.rondon

Action Filter to only occur when a cell is selected

alex.rondon

Hi,

I have a filter action in my dashboard that when I select any of the cells tied to a category, it filters the table below to all the "Unique numbers" of the category.

image1.jpg

I would like to be able to select under "Assign Past Due" for example, and only see 1 record in the table below and not all 4. Same goes for "Number of Records" , I would like to see all 4 records in the table below when I select that cell.

Thanks for the help!

Alex

• 1. Re: Action Filter to only occur when a cell is selected
          Joe Oppelt

Filter actions only pass dimensional values.  You're passing [Category].  It's doing what you asked.

You can stop the action from activating on the [Category] column by floating a blank object over that space on the dashboard.

But as for the individual measure marks, Tableau is going to act uniformly on them.

I'm looking at your data.  Maybe you can create a dimension that shows past due stuff as a dimension.  In fact, your [Assign Past Due] calc can be converted to a dimension, (and you can still do a SUM([Assign Past Due]) as a measure.)  What you'd need to figure out is a way to pass the [Assign Past Due] dimension value in the action, though I can't see how to differentiate the two measures so that [Assign...] only has meaning for the Sum(Assign...) measure.

• 2. Re: Action Filter to only occur when a cell is selected
            Joe Oppelt

If you broke the Categories" sheet apart into two separate sheets and placed them side-by-side on the dashboard so they looked like one viz, you could have actions that generate different things.

• 3. Re: Action Filter to only occur when a cell is selected
              alex.rondon

Splitting "Assign Past Due" and "Number of Records" into two sheets and placing them next to each other in a dashboard could work but it would require me to have two  "Category Details" tables in my dashboard... The filter actions really are used to show the data that is selected on the top.... I would need one Details table for Number of records details and another for Assign Past Due details....

imagine2.jpg

I guess unless there is a way to invoke a details table to show only when a column is selected..?

• 4. Re: Action Filter to only occur when a cell is selected
                Joe Oppelt

You wouldn't need two tables.  You would need two sheets, both pointing to the same data source, and if you are doing any filtering, each filter could apply to both sheets.

You can disable the action filter on the dimensional parts of the sheet (such as the Category column) by floating a blank object over it.  Clicks won't activate there.  But the measures are going to work uniformly across all the measures.  If you click on the green bar for Vegetables, all you're going to be able to pass is "Vegetables" to the next sheet.  There is no dimensional value that differentiates [Asking] from [Number] on the sheet.

In the attached I hacked up an example of what I am talking about.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Action Filter to only occur when a cell is selected
                  alex.rondon

This is a great workout what I am looking for! Thanks for your help.