9 Replies Latest reply on Jul 30, 2018 10:08 AM by Joe Oppelt

Apply dashboard action filter across multiple data sources

Jeff Reese

Hello,

I'm using Tableau 10.5.  See attached packaged workbook.

This is a basic workbook with two tabs using two different data sources.  Each data source has a common field, Task_ID. 

I have each worksheet on a dashboard.

On the dashboard, I think I should be able to click a row from the Group worksheet and see the Stage worksheet filter accordingly.  That's not happening.

This seems very elementary and think I'm just missing something obvious, but it isn't apparent to me.

I would appreciate any help.

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Apply dashboard action filter across multiple data sources
          Sandeep Punjari

Hello,

For passing the values the field needs to be in the worksheet level, then we can pass that field using the action. Otherwise it shows an error like miising field when we try to pass that one specific field using filter action.

Attached the copy, let me know if it helps you.

• 2. Re: Apply dashboard action filter across multiple data sources
            Heqing Huang

Hi Jeff,

It seems like Task_ID needs to be on the sheet too. This may change the view you intended to achieve but it works. See the sample attached.

Thanks,

Heqing

• 3. Re: Apply dashboard action filter across multiple data sources
              Jeff Reese

I can't seem to open that file as it was created in a newer vision of Tableau.

However, I think you're saying that Task_ID needs to be on both worksheets (such as a Row pill).

So, you're right - if I add task ID as a row pill to each worksheet, it does indeed filter across both worksheets.  However, the issue is that I don't want Task ID to be on the worksheet (there will be millions of them), I'm just trying to get it to be used as a common link Tableau can understand to apply the filter.

• 4. Re: Apply dashboard action filter across multiple data sources
                Joe Oppelt

Tableau can't understand to apply the filter.  It's not how Tableau works.

In the attached I have added Task ID to your Group sheet.

If you click on "Group 1" (not on an individual task or on an individual value!) you will see the Stage sheet react to the proper tasks.  Now tableau knows what tasks to pass in the action filter.

Next, look at sheet "Group (2)".    On the original sheet I had made a calc called INDEX that displays the index value 1-through-N for each Group.  On sheet 2 I used that same index calc as a filter just to display the first Task ID within a Group.  The LOD calc sums up the [Group Value] sums (as you see on each row in the original sheet), so now you (sort of) have the viz in sheet 2 that you originally had.  Still, the value of "550" for group 1 that is displayed here is the one that was on the first TaskID row before we moved INDEX to the filter sheet.

There are further things we can do, but I stopped here to show you how you can add TaskID to the sheet and still get the viz you want.

See attached.

• 5. Re: Apply dashboard action filter across multiple data sources
                  Joe Oppelt

In the next attached workbook I have made sheet 3 and replaced your sheet with the new one.  Now when you click on group 1, you get the behavior you want -- even if you click on the 550.

Note though...  If you change the tasks in the filter, the values of 550 and 200 don't change.  There is a reason for that, and we can address that too.  But I stopped here to show you this next step.

• 6. Re: Apply dashboard action filter across multiple data sources
                    Joe Oppelt

Finally, in this last workbook I have changed the TaskID filter so that it's "in context".  (You'll notice that it's now grey on the filter shelf on all the sheets.)

When we have a FIXED LOD, it activates before any filters are evaluated because of Tableau's order of operation.  But order of operation specifies that IN CONTEXT filters get evaluated before FIXED LODs.

Now the filter applies, AND the action knows about the task IDs because they've been added to the group sheet(3).

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: Apply dashboard action filter across multiple data sources
                      Jeff Reese

Thanks, Joe.  It's now apparent to me this isn't quite as elementary as I thought it would be.  I think I'm going to need to rethink my strategy of using multiple data sources and instead use one with LOD calcs to eliminate duplicates..  Everyone's responses have given me food for thought.  Thanks your help.

• 8. Re: Apply dashboard action filter across multiple data sources
                        Jeff Reese

Just saw your Filter Test C - I think this will work!  Thank you for your help.

• 9. Re: Apply dashboard action filter across multiple data sources
                          Joe Oppelt

Version C works because I made the LOD a DISCRETE pill, and then put it on ROWS.

(Note:  because it's a FIXED calc, you can actually convert it to a dimension.  But making it DISCRETE makes it behave like a dimension anyway.)

But there is still a limitation here.  (Which might or might not be an issue for you.)  Notice that there is no measure here.   When you have no measure, usually you get that "ABC" column that is waiting for you to shove a measure in there.  What I did was change the display color to white (so the ABC essentially becomes invisible) and dragged-shrunk the column to its minimum size.  So if you wanted to have a tooltip with all sorts of info in it, you've lost that capability.  All you have now are the "uber tooltips" for the specific dimensional columns.

On sheet 3, the way it's designed, if there are 100 tasks for a given group, there are actually 100 individual (and tiny) white blocks in that skinny little ABC column.  THAT's where the tooltips would show up, and if you have Task ID in the tooltip, then the tooltip would change accordingly if the user were to cursor from one to the other little white block.

Just pointing this out.  Again, this might or might not be an issue.  I just want you to know about it.