1 Reply Latest reply on Jul 26, 2018 11:41 PM by kumar bharat

REGEX and use

anunay Singh

Hi All,

I am on working on REGEXP in Tableau.

While navigating the web i found few common "Anchors" that are used in Regular Expressions in PERL,

1) ^ - directs REGEXP to start looking for the pattern at the start of the line.

2) \A - directs REGEXP to start looking for the desired pattern at the start of a string.

3) \b - directs REGEXP to look for desired pattern within a word boundry.

4) \< -- directs REGEXP to look for the desired pattern at the start of the word.

5) \> -- directs REGEXP to look for the desired pattern at the end of the word.

Can anyone tell me how do we differentiate between a LINE, STRING and a word in Tableau to use the first three Anchors appropriately?

I mean how to classify what is a word, String or a line.

considering that i have a dimension which has different rows and it contains a sentence, a string and words.

Or does Tableau considers everything as a "STRING" and the first three anchors can be used interchangeably???

Also, i tried the last two anchors (\< />), they did not work in Tableau for me.

PS: I used a self created excel data sheet to work on this, as i read REGEXP also depends on Data source that we use.