5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 26, 2018 10:37 AM by Ruby Delgado

Filter to Filter Values in Second Filter

Ruby Delgado

How can I achieve the following. I need Filter 1 (Overall Subject) to filter values (Test Code) automatically on my worksheet to the appropriate values

1) Filter (Overall Subject)

English Language Arts

Mathematics

2) Filter (Test Code)

ELA03

ELA04

ELA05

ELA06

ELA07

ELA08

ELA09

ELA10

ELA11

MAT03

MAT04

etc......

• 1. Re: Filter to Filter Values in Second Filter
          Joe Oppelt

For your Test Code filter, edit the filter and select "only relevant". By default Tableau uses "all values", but if you pick relevant, then only the values that are relevant to the other filters on the sheet will be displayed.

• 2. Re: Filter to Filter Values in Second Filter
            Ruby Delgado

Thank you for response, I already have my second filter (Test Code) set to relevant values, however I would like the values to be automatically selected when User selects an Overall Subject. For example,

User Selects: Overall Subject - Mathematics

Sheet updates Test Codes to MAT03-MAT08 (all the relevant values)

• 3. Re: Filter to Filter Values in Second Filter
              Joe Oppelt

Are you saying, if the user had previously selected "English Language Arts", and then had selected some test codes for English, and then selects "Math", the test codes filter will get pared to the relevant ones for Math, but initially the Math test codes won't be selected?

Yup.  Tableau's design has chosen to remember the prior selections.  If you went back to "English", you'll find the previous selections still selected in the relevant list for "English".

I don't know of a way to get around that.

• 4. Re: Filter to Filter Values in Second Filter
                Joe Oppelt

Actually, if you initially set up the filter to use all initially, when the user switches from Dept A to Dept B, all the B-tests are selected.  But once the user sets selections for relevant tests in one or the other, Tableau remembers those relevant selections.

In the attached I made a very simple example.  (I used 9.2 to make this so it can upgrade to whatever you are using.)

The [Test] filter uses Relevant.  Select Dept A.  Turn off some tests.  Now switch to B.  All the B tests are initially selected.  Turn off one or 2 B tests.  Go back to A.  It remembers your previous selections for A.  GO back to B.  It remembers your previous selections for B.

If this is published, and the default is ALL, then each time the user opens the workbook, it will return to ALL, even if they had previously selected stuff the last time they opened the workbook.

See attached.

• 5. Re: Filter to Filter Values in Second Filter
                  Ruby Delgado

Thank you Joe Oppelt

It worked! Thank goodness