3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 27, 2018 7:17 AM by Adam Danisovszky

Generate Dimension For Next Step In Sequence

Adam Danisovszky

I have a list of user visits to my company's website and order of pages visited along with the page type. The overall goal of this analysis is to determine what types of pages the person visits immediately after visiting a Product View page type.

I am able to generate the "Step After Product View" field number using:

IF [Page Type (group)] = "Product View"

THEN [Step # Next]

END

Where I am hung up... how do I match that number from "Step After Product View" back to the actual next step page type? For the first listed session below, Step 3 is a Product View page type, so I want to display what Step 4's page type is (also "Product View" in this case). For that same session, Step 4 is a Product View page type, so I want to display what Step 5's page type is ("Secure..." in this case).

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Capture.PNG

• 1. Re: Generate Dimension For Next Step In Sequence
          Wesley Magee

Adam,

Something that might work for you is fixing a level of detail calculation to the Session ID. This would make sure that it's retrieving the steps for that particular session instead of a step from any session. This will also pull the last instance that someone had a Product View in their session.

Step After Product View would now look like this:

{FIXED [Session Id] : MAX(IF [Page Type (group)] = "Product View"

THEN [Step # Next]

END)}

Next Page Type would look like this:

{FIXED [Session Id] : MAX(IF [Step After Product View] = [Step #] THEN ([Page Type (group)]) END)}

If you put "Next Page Type" into a sheet with the Session Id, it should show you what you're looking for. Let me know if you run into any trouble.

-Wesley

If this post assists in resolving the question, please mark it helpful or as the 'correct answer' if it resolves the question. This will help other users find the same answer/resolution.  Thank you.

• 2. Re: Generate Dimension For Next Step In Sequence
            Adam Danisovszky

Thanks for the response, Wesley. It's close, but not exactly what I need.

That will work if the Session only contains one Product View step; however, more often than not, there are multiple Product Views within the session. Using the 22-step session above, there were Product View pages visited at steps 4, 6, and 15. That MAX LOD calc will only return step 16 (the step # after the max).

Any other thoughts?

• 3. Re: Generate Dimension For Next Step In Sequence
              Adam Danisovszky

Thanks to a traffic jam on my way home yesterday providing me with an opportunity to "daydream", I think I have a workaround using Tableau Prep along with Desktop to Pull the data with the step numbers, export to a CSV, then join on the "next step #" with a new field for that page type.

Will report back with the results.