1 Reply Latest reply on Jul 24, 2018 8:14 PM by swaroop.gantela

How to Sort on a Calculated Field Which is NOT Used in Rows or Columns Shelf

nick.jordan.0

Hi Tableau Community!

I am building a penetration rate dashboard but instead of sorting on penetration rate I would like to sort on number of sales, which is not used in the visualization. My idea was to place the number of sales calculated field on the "Detail" mark and sort by this field. However, I only receive the options "Data Source Order or Manual" both of which are useless to me. Why is there no Ascending and Descending? Note the same happens when I try bringing the calculated field to rows or columns then sorting.

Thanks for your time.

• 1. Re: How to Sort on a Calculated Field Which is NOT Used in Rows or Columns Shelf
          swaroop.gantela

Nick,

I'm not sure if this is the same as your setup, but the sort may not be available

due to the nature of your calculation for penetration rate, which may involve

some types of table calculations.

In the example workbook v10.3 attached in the Forum Thread, the Column dimension is a Lookup.

This similarly did not have any options for sorting.

To get the columns to sort by SUM(Sales), I put that on the Column shelf as a dimension

to the left of my LookupDimension. (I also edited it in-shelf to put a negative sign in

front the make it descending). Then I unchecked "Show Header".

If this does not match well your setup, would be grateful if you could post

the equation for penetration rate.