7 Replies Latest reply on Jul 24, 2018 11:54 AM by Thirumal Balakrishnan

Unknown Server Error

kunal.dongre.0

I am on Tableau Server 10.5.3, and sometimes when I click on the "Site Status/Actions By Recent Users" - I get greeted by the following error.

The error disappears after sometime. However, I would like to know why the error is thrown and if there is any resolution?

Cheers

KD

• 1. Re: Unknown Server Error
          Jeff Strauss

I think I've seen this error before when trying to bring up admin views, but never bothered to dig much into it, because closing the browser and reopening seems to solve it.  Is that the case for you too?

• 2. Re: Unknown Server Error
            kunal.dongre.0

Unfortunately, in my case - refreshing the page, closing and opening a new page doesn't solve the issue.

• 3. Re: Unknown Server Error
              Tony Chan

I'm on 10.5.1 and have occasionally seen this error before too.

I published all the Status views to an admin project to allow a few non-admin users to view. When I get an error with the delivered status view, I run the copy I published and works.  Hope that helps, Tony

• 4. Re: Unknown Server Error
                Ritesh Bisht

Hi KD,

Issue

When accessing a workbook on Tableau Online, the following error might occur:

TableauException: Failed to copy file 'C:\ProgramData\Tableau\Tableau Server\data\tabsvc\temp\repoItem....tmp' to 'C:\ProgramData\Tableau\Tableau Server\data\tabsvc\temp\TableauTemp\.....tmp'..

Additionally, while viewing the "backgrounder tasks for extracts" admin view, the customer received the following message:

"Unknown Server Error - An unexpected error occurred. if you continue to receive this error please contact your Tableau Server Administrator. TableauException: Failed to copy file...".

Environment

• Tableau Online
                • Tableau Server

Resolution

For Tableau Server

Upgrade to Tableau Server 10.2.1, 10.1.7 or a later version. For more information, see Upgrading Tableau Server

Cause

This behavior is related to a known issue (ID: 582709).

Please mark the answer as CORRECT/HELPFUL if it really helped you so that it can help others.

All the best !

Thanks,

Ritesh

• 5. Re: Unknown Server Error
                  kunal.dongre.0

Thanks Tony. My temporary workaround is to open a new browser session and the error is no more seen.

• 6. Re: Unknown Server Error
                    kunal.dongre.0

Thanks Ritesh. I am on 10.5.3 version.

• 7. Re: Unknown Server Error
                      Thirumal Balakrishnan

Please try below.

1. Stop the tableau server.

2. Remove all the content....\tabsvc\temp\.

3. Restart Tableau server.

Root cause: If we remove any files while tableau server up and running to gain any space/CPU increase during degraded behaviour, this behaviour is expected.  In a nut shell tableau web services not in sync with backend server content.

Thanks,

Thirumal Balakrishnan