2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 24, 2018 7:41 AM by Marshall Ma

How to schedule fresh for Tableau Online from MongoDB remote server?

Marshall Ma

Hi I am new to tableau and I have a mongo database stored in the cloud (server address like xyz.eastus.cloudapp.azure.com)

I have been successful accessing data from Mongo to local server (127.0.0.1) and to Tableau Desktop using ODBC.

But since my data is updated weekly, I tried to publish workbook with data source embedded (username and password embedded also) but couldn't get it refreshed.

Maybe it's because I turned off my laptop when it's refreshing, and that I use a local connection instead of cloud connection? How enable it to refresh automatically?

(and can I do this without using tableau bridge?)

Thanks,

Marshall

• 1. Re: How to schedule fresh for Tableau Online from MongoDB remote server?
          Jason Huffman

Hi Marshall,

Thanks for reaching out!

If a cloud-hosted data source is being used, then it should be possible to refresh through Tableau Online. In order to ensure Tableau Online can query the underlying data, you will have to allow access to the Tableau Online pod-specific IP addresses - more information here. In addition, please ensure that the database URL or IP address is publicly accessible.

If it turns out the data is not cloud-hosted, or that it won't be possible to access a public URL or IP, then there are some other options:

• Tableau Bridge
          • Manual refresh from Tableau Desktop
          • Automated refresh through command-line scripts

More information about the refresh options can be found in our Tableau Online Product Help - Keep Data Fresh

If using Tableau Bridge, it can be run in both Application and Service modes with the following caveats.

• Application mode: Bridge can refresh extracts on a schedule while the dedicated user is logged in to Windows.
          • Service mode: As a Windows service, Bridge runs continuously even if the user logs out of Windows.

I hope this helps!

Cheers,

Jason

• 2. Re: How to schedule fresh for Tableau Online from MongoDB remote server?
            Marshall Ma

Hi Jason, thanks a lot for replying!

I asked my mongodb administer to whitelist ip for tableau but that didn't work either.

Are there any alternatives to directly connect without on-premises?

Marshall