1 Reply Latest reply on Jul 23, 2018 12:42 PM by ShivaRam Chennapragada

Latest date preset on Tableau Server

Jeffrey Kritzman

Hello All,

I recently learned about the Latest date preset functionality, which would be very helpful for me.  After some initial testing, however, it appears that this only works in Tableau Desktop, and does not work with Tableau Server.  This squashed my excitement, as the whole reason I need this functionality is to automatically update my reports that are distributed through my company.  Any thoughts on what I may be doing wrong, or is this a real functionality gap?

I did see this in the documentation (https://onlinehelp.tableau.com/v10.3/pro/desktop/en-us/help.htm#filtering.html#LatestDatePresets ):

"On Tableau Server and Tableau Online, presets are applied when the view first loads in the browser, but not when the browser or data is refreshed."

But no matter what I tried (refresh data, close browser, re-open, etc), it wouldn't update the quick filter.

Any help appreciated, as this would be a wonderful addition to my dashboards.

Thanks,

Jeff

• 1. Re: Latest date preset on Tableau Server
          ShivaRam Chennapragada

Jeffrey- This is the best filter option when you want your reports to be dynamically updated to latest date. I find this very useful, and it works totally fine on desktop and server. I'm not sure why yours doesn't, but I would check if there are multiple date filters in a single worksheet. Make sure you have (only) one "Filter to recent date" filter. Also, common tendency is that most users check both recent date and also the "Filter to recent date" checkbox which is another cause of the problem,  because when you publish the view, the date that you've checked remains static and overwrites the "Preset".

If this doesn't work, could you mock up some data and attach a packaged workbook?

Thanks,

Shiva.