6 Replies Latest reply on Jul 23, 2018 12:36 AM by Donna Coles

Tableau DR setup

Roshan Bisnath

Tableau 10.2

Windows server 2008 R2

Hi,

I would like to know how to setup a DR for the tableau server. I cannnot find a proper document for tableau.

I already have a script to backup tableau daily

cd "C:\Program Files\Tableau\Tableau Server\10.2\bin"

tabadmin ziplogs -l -n -f

copy logs.zip E:\Tableau_Backup\log_bkp\

tabadmin backup E:\Tableau_Backup\tabserver_bkp\tabserver_bkp --date -t E:\Tableau_Backup\tmp

tabadmin cleanup

Should I transfer the backups from Primary database to Standby database using Robocopy? How should I modify the script?

Regards,

Roshan

• 1. Re: Tableau DR setup
          Donna Coles

Hi Roshan

In my company we have a single Tableau Server which serves the business reporting (primary server).  Additionally we have another server that is the same spec and is essentially our standby/secondary server for use in the event of an unexpected failure to our primary server.  Each night the data from our primary server is backed up using the tabadmin backup command and then restored onto the secindary server via a tabadmin restore command - tabadmin commands

Regards

Donna

• 2. Re: Tableau DR setup
            Roshan Bisnath

Hi Donna,

how do you copy the backups from the primary to standby?

Regards,

Roshan

• 3. Re: Tableau DR setup
              Donna Coles

Hi Roshan

A script is run on the primary server that calls the tabadmin backup command to run the backup and save the backup file to some location.  Another script is then run on the secondary server to call the tabadmin restore command which references the backup file.

I don't have access to the servers to get the exact details of the scripts at the moment- sorry.

Donna

• 4. Re: Tableau DR setup
                Donna Coles

Though I see, you're also posting on this thread Re: Tableau server automation of Backup and restore  which has details of a script someone has used, which they posted in response to your query...

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Tableau DR setup
                  Roshan Bisnath

Thanks a lot for Donna! Much appreciated

In fact, I am planning to setup a High Availability for my production environment. I am currently working on the design part.

Please have a look

High Availability

If I setup a total of 3 node cluster(as documented, 1 Primary and 2 worker nodes) and if the active repository goes down, will the passive repository be uptodate? Is it necessary to implement the backup and restore automation procedure as from the link below

Re: Tableau server automation of Backup and restore

Regards,

Roshan

• 6. Re: Tableau DR setup
                    Donna Coles

Hi Roshan

As I mentioned, we only have a single server environment, so can't say from experience whether there is any lag between the active & passive repository.  Based on what I've read in the links you've provided, I would assume the passive repository is a replica of the active repository, so in the event of failure it should be up to date.  I assume this as there is nothing I've read that explictly says otherwise, and the whole purpose of the 3-node set up is to help reduce downtime.  I'm sure someone else will be able to give you a definitive answer.

Donna