3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 20, 2018 8:18 AM by Toby Erkson

Tableau Reader occasionally takes long time to load a packaged workbook

gxu

The Tableau Reader takes ridicules long time (>5 mins) to open today. After it's opened, we cannot use any filter or change tabs as it will take another 5 mins to compute. Most of the time the report is fast to open and use, but it's really annoying when it's slow as we have 30+ people using the report everyday.

I changed the report location from the common drive to local, but it's not helping. The Tableau Reader version is 2018.1.1

Any idea why this is happening? Thanks!

• 1. Re: Tableau Reader occasionally takes long time to load a packaged workbook
          Michael Hesser

Hi Grace;

There could be a number of reasons loading is slow.

If you have access to Desktop, you might try changing your filters to include the APPLY button; your worksheet will only recalculate once the user has selected all the choices for a particular filter (rather than recalculating each time a minor change is made).

It probably a good idea to switch your filters to Relative Values Only, as well, as this will eliminate dead-end choices.

If you have a LOT of filters that need to be set, you might opt for a "CHILD LOCK" parameter. I use this on my dashboards that require a lot of computational power.

Make the Parameter the first item in your filters...

When the lock is OFF, display NOTHING. The user can set all the filters without waiting for the computer to calculate what to display...

'When the lock is turned ON, only then are the filtered values displayed.

I hope this offers some hints. --Michael

• 2. Re: Tableau Reader occasionally takes long time to load a packaged workbook
            gxu

Thank you for the useful tips Michael.

However I don't think the filters are the cause of the slow loading problem. As I mentioned, it's very slow when open the report and switch tabs as well. This issue happened like 3 times during the past month, normally the report performs well. 

• 3. Re: Tableau Reader occasionally takes long time to load a packaged workbook
              Toby Erkson

Make sure the packaged workbook is saved on your local (e.g. laptop) hard drive.  I recommend to my end users that their Tableau Repository is on their local hard drive, not a network drive, as that helps with performance.

Tableau software should be saved on a local drive as well for best performance.

Is there enough RAM on the affected computers?  I notice that a LOT of people don't close down applications when they're done with them so I recommend closing everything that isn't needed and trying again, especially web browsers, even closing tabs that aren't necessary if the browser itself can't be closed.

The fact that performance is intermittent is tricky.  Note the date & TIME that the slowness events happen and then talk with IT to see if they are doing something around that time.  It could be anti-virus scanning -- for some illogical reason we have a virus scan that happens early afternoon, consumes a bunch of computer resources (RAM and CPU), and thus slows down overall computer performance