3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 19, 2018 4:21 PM by Kye Hittle

Tableau Server Installation

Deepak Hire

Hello,

We recently purchased a License copy of Tableau Desktop. Below are my questions-

1- What are the Tableau platforms I can use to publish my Tableau Dashboards for the leadership team? (Tableau server or Online)

2- Do our company need to buy the Tableau server/online license?

3- Is Tableau Server VS Tableau Online what is feasible for Leadership team?

Please advice.

Thanks,

Deepak

• 1. Re: Tableau Server Installation
          Kye Hittle

Great news, Deepak! Good that you're starting to think about the "last mile" of your Tableau workflow, deployment!

1- What are the Tableau platforms I can use to publish my Tableau Dashboards for the leadership team? (Tableau server or Online)

Tableau Desktop can publish to all of the following:

• Tableau Server (hosted by you)
          • Tableau Online (hosted by Tableau)
          • Tableau Public (probably not an option for your corporate data as it is available to the public without login)

Typically you'll choose either Server or Online. There many factors that go into this decision from policy around data living outside the firewall (as it does with Online) to whether you want to be an admin for Server. You may need to discuss with your IT, data security and Tableau account manager and/or Tableau partner.

If you're using the latest license model (with Creator, Explorer, Viewer levels), Creator licenses include both Desktop and a Server/Online license (and Prep). For non-Desktop users, you'll need to purchase Explorer or Viewer licenses.

Can you clarify the question?

Good luck!

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Tableau Server Installation
            Deepak Hire

Hi Kye,

Thanks for your response, that is helpful. Below are my further doubts in ITALICS. (For point 2nd and 3rd)

Tableau Desktop can publish to all of the following:

• Tableau Server (hosted by you)
            • Tableau Online (hosted by Tableau)
            • Tableau Public (probably not an option for your corporate data as it is available to the public without login)

Typically you'll choose either Server or Online. There many factors that go into this decision from policy around data living outside the firewall (as it does with Online) to whether you want to be an admin for Server. You may need to discuss with your IT, data security and Tableau account manager and/or Tableau partner.

If you're using the latest license model (with Creator, Explorer, Viewer levels), Creator licenses include both Desktop and a Server/Online license (and Prep). For non-Desktop users, you'll need to purchase Explorer or Viewer licenses.

I am using Desktop - Professional User - License, not sure what model I have.
            For non- Desktop users (For example: Sr Leadership who are the users of just the reports / dashboards or external audience within company)- We will have to purchase either of Tableau Server or Tableau Online, correct?

Can you clarify the question?

- In terms of usability (tableau Server Vs Online)- I now understand the difference of hosting by Tableau (Tableau online) and Hosting by us (Tableau Server)

Is there any difference (in usability or user interface) while using the reports published on Server VS Online for non-Desktop users or Report Audience?

Thanks again,

Deepak 

• 3. Re: Tableau Server Installation
              Kye Hittle

Hi again,

I am using Desktop - Professional User - License, not sure what model I have.

For non- Desktop users (For example: Sr Leadership who are the users of just the reports / dashboards or external audience within company)- We will have to purchase either of Tableau Server or Tableau Online, correct?

I'd recommend contacting your Tableau account manager or Tableau partner. They can review what you have today and what you'll need for end users after you explain your exact use case.

- In terms of usability (tableau Server Vs Online)- I now understand the difference of hosting by Tableau (Tableau online) and Hosting by us (Tableau Server)

Is there any difference (in usability or user interface) while using the reports published on Server VS Online for non-Desktop users or Report Audience?

Server and Online have very comparable feature sets, especially when it comes to the end-user experience. Tableau tries to maintain as much parity between the two platforms as possible but there are inherent differences based on hardware, networking, etc. The following doc here in the Community hasn't been updated in awhile but I skimmed and it still covers the main differences:

Tableau Online and Tableau Server Comparison