5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 19, 2018 11:28 AM by Sue Grist

Save a Data Connection Prep?

Kate Brown

I haven't seen a way to save a data connection in prep - am I missing something or do I have to set up a new connection every time I create a new flow?

Thanks!

Kate

• 1. Re: Save a Data Connection Prep?
          Joshua Milligan

Kate,

In Tableau Desktop a data connection consists of the connection definition plus all the tables/files with joins, unions, pivots, metadata changes, etc...  So, when I save that, I'm saving a lot of effort and time.  In Tableau Prep, most of that is the flow itself which can of course be saved.  The connection definition (file/database name, username, password) cannot currently be saved, though I would definitely vote up an idea that would suggest this for development as it would save some time and I'd love to have a list of a half-dozen favorite connections to access via single click.

Best Regards,

Joshua

2 of 2 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Save a Data Connection Prep?
            Kate Brown

Thanks Joshua - I've memorized my Oracle connection information I've entered it so many times!!

I will create an idea too!

Have a good night

Kate

• 3. Re: Save a Data Connection Prep?
              Sue Grist

Joshua,

I created a .tfl file with one small data file, and now I want to apply it to a different file with the exact same file structure.

When I have Prep open and Add my new file to the Connections and then select Run, it gives me an option to replace my existing output file, but not to rename it and thereby create a new hyper file.

It feels like I must be missing something basic here. I've looked around the help and different videos, but ... I'm missing something.

How do I apply my tfl file to a new data file?

Sue

• 4. Re: Save a Data Connection Prep?
                Joshua Milligan

Sue,

It isn't the most obvious, but if you click on the Output step and then Browse, you can give the output file a new name in the resulting dialog box.

Hope that helps!

Joshua

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Save a Data Connection Prep?
                  Sue Grist

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!!!