7 Replies Latest reply on Jul 17, 2018 9:50 AM by Mark McGhee

Tableau Server Subscription - Not Sending for user

Andrew Bickert

This should be very simple but it is escaping me. We have a user that is not able to receive any subscriptions. The user is able to subscribe to subscriptions and see the view but the subscription does not send out for this individual.

Things I have checked/tried:

1. User has email address in User Account

2. SMTP is working appropriately for other users and sending out appropriately.

3. User has access to workbook and can subscribe to workbook.

4. Schedule is running as anticipated, tried different schedules as well.

5. Workbook and Server are both on 2018.1

6. All processes are up and running

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

Andrew

• 1. Re: Tableau Server Subscription - Not Sending for user
          Jeff Strauss

Is the email possibly going to spam / junk mail / clutter / quarantine ?  This is one possibility.

• 2. Re: Tableau Server Subscription - Not Sending for user
            Andrew Bickert

Hi Jeff,

I had the user check that but to no avail. I am pretty sure something is not configured correctly since the last updated time in the subscription box above does not show that anything was updated. I have checked the error logs but nothing so far (not receiving an error message, just shooting in the dark). The user receives other dashboards so I am imagining it is something specific to this workbook, not sure why it works for other people though. No user level security is applied either.

Andrew

• 3. Re: Tableau Server Subscription - Not Sending for user
              Mark McGhee

Hi Andrew,

The Backrounder processes are the one that sends out Subscriptions.  If you do a search for the user account can you locate them at all?  Unfortunately if you have a number of backgrounder processes then there would be several logs to look at.  Also, I'm guessing is this Production?   If so, can the issue be reproduced on a non-Production system if the same dashboard is published to it?   Might make troubleshooting easier since there would be less activity to have to sift through.

• 4. Re: Tableau Server Subscription - Not Sending for user
                Andrew Bickert

Hi Mark,

I am able to replicate on the Non-Prod, that was a good idea as there are a lot less logs to go through. I did a search on the username and found this:

2018-07-16 07:15:58.434 -0700 (Default,username,,,370172,:single_subscription_notify,-) pool-4-thread-1 backgrounder: ERROR com.tableausoftware.model.workgroup.service.subscriptions.SubscriptionRunner - Could not send email for Subscription Id 14209 for User username Subject Last Week Census: Midnight

java.lang.RuntimeException: Failed to perform data condition evaluation...

at com.tableausoftware.model.workgroup.service.subscriptions.SubscriptionRunner.dataConditionSatisfied(SubscriptionRunner.java:601)

at com.tableausoftware.model.workgroup.service.subscriptions.SubscriptionRunner.sendEmailSubscription(SubscriptionRunner.java:325)

at com.tableausoftware.model.workgroup.service.subscriptions.SubscriptionRunner.runSubscription(SubscriptionRunner.java:186)

at com.tableausoftware.model.workgroup.workers.SingleSubscriptionWorker.executeWithDataengine_aroundBody0(SingleSubscriptionWorker.java:89)

at com.tableausoftware.model.workgroup.workers.SingleSubscriptionWorker$AjcClosure1.run(SingleSubscriptionWorker.java:1)

at org.aspectj.runtime.reflect.JoinPointImpl.proceed(JoinPointImpl.java:149)

at com.tableausoftware.instrumentation.InstrumentedMethod.instrumentInvocation(InstrumentedMethod.java:66)

at com.tableausoftware.instrumentation.InstrumentationAspect.aroundAnnotatedMethod(InstrumentationAspect.java:57)

at com.tableausoftware.model.workgroup.workers.SingleSubscriptionWorker.executeWithDataengine(SingleSubscriptionWorker.java:86)

at com.tableausoftware.model.workgroup.workers.DataengineDependentWorker.execute(DataengineDependentWorker.java:65)

at com.tableausoftware.backgrounder.runner.BackgroundJobRunner$ExecuteJobImplCallable.call_aroundBody0(BackgroundJobRunner.java:577)

at com.tableausoftware.backgrounder.runner.BackgroundJobRunner$ExecuteJobImplCallable$AjcClosure1.run(BackgroundJobRunner.java:1)

at org.aspectj.runtime.reflect.JoinPointImpl.proceed(JoinPointImpl.java:149)

at com.tableausoftware.instrumentation.InstrumentedMethod.instrumentInvocation(InstrumentedMethod.java:66)

at com.tableausoftware.instrumentation.InstrumentationAspect.aroundAnnotatedMethod(InstrumentationAspect.java:57)

at com.tableausoftware.backgrounder.runner.BackgroundJobRunner$ExecuteJobImplCallable.call(BackgroundJobRunner.java:545)

at com.tableausoftware.backgrounder.runner.BackgroundJobRunner$ExecuteJobImplCallable.call(BackgroundJobRunner.java:529)

at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(FutureTask.java:266)

at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1149)

at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:624)

at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:748)

Caused by: com.tableausoftware.nativeapi.dll.FederatedDataSourceException: DataServiceFailure

Unable to connect to the server "TABSERVER". Check that the server is running and that you have access privileges to the requested database.

This makes me believe that this is a data source error which is odd because it is using a published data source on the server that is used by many other workbooks. The TABSERVER that it couldn't connect to is the production server.

Andrew

• 6. Re: Tableau Server Subscription - Not Sending for user
                  Andrew Bickert

Hi Mark,

We do have the "Don't send if view is empty" for everyone on the subscription but everyone else is receiving it appropriately. I went ahead and unchecked it for the individual in question and it worked for her. Thank you for helping me get it working. I am still confused at why that would be an issue still since it shows it was fixed back in 10.3 and we are on 2018.1.

Andrew

• 7. Re: Tableau Server Subscription - Not Sending for user
                    Mark McGhee

Hi Andrew,

Glad to hear at least the user is able to get Subscriptions.  For a deeper dive into the issue would strongly recommend opening a support case so the Tableau team can investigate further.  When you open the case you're more than welcome to include this forum link but don't be surprised that we may ask you to reproduce the issue once more (possibly with logs in "DEBUG" mode in your non-Production environment) and collect a fresh set of Tableau Server log files.