5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 23, 2018 3:35 AM by Naveen B

Implement license policy (server, desktop)

Pierre-Benoit QUERTON

Hello everyone,

I'm reaching you out to get your advise or share your experience about license management inside your organisation. I'm in charge of our Tableau products where I have a pool of 90 desktop licenses and 600 user server licenses, this was enough for a while but now, more and more people are interested to use Tableau.  It is obviously great, but we cannot buy license every time someone wants to try or use Tableau...

Therefore, I'm thinking to introduce some license policy like:

Tableau Desktop:

- User how haven't used desktop between a period of 30 to 60 days will be notified that their license may be recovered

- User who have not use Tableau over a period of 60 days will be recovered.

Tableau Server

- User who have no subscription and has not visited Tableau server for more than 60 days will set to unlicensed. User and site administrator will be notify accordingly.

- User with subscriptions but without visit for the last 30 days will be encouraged to favor interaction with Tableau Server rather than receving an email. In case, the behavior has not changed after an additional period of 30 days, Site Administrator will be contacted to find an alternative to send the subscription the these user to free up server license.

I'm looking for your view, ideas, suggestion about such policy. Do you have something similar in your organization ?

Thank you

• 1. Re: Implement license policy (server, desktop)
          kumar bharat

Hi Pierre,

I suggest

schedule dashboards and reports so that the users get those reports/dashboards  through emails.

Have licenses for business critical users not for all

Hope it helps.

BR,

bharat

• 2. Re: Implement license policy (server, desktop)
            Naveen B

Hi Pierre,

Lets break down your question so that i can answer perfectly

Tableau Desktop:

- User how haven't used desktop between a period of 30 to 60 days will be notified that their license may be recovered

- User who have not use Tableau over a period of 60 days will be recovered.

> In Order to view the desktop reporting licensing use the below link

Desktop License Usage 

It will help you to identify the number of licenses getting used and number of licenses is not getting used in number of days and many more insights you can get from there

Tableau Server

- User who have no subscription and has not visited Tableau server for more than 60 days will set to unlicensed. User and site administrator will be notify accordingly.

- User with subscriptions but without visit for the last 30 days will be encouraged to favor interaction with Tableau Server rather than receving an email. In case, the behavior has not changed after an additional period of 30 days, Site Administrator will be contacted to find an alternative to send the subscription the these user to free up server license

>> For Tableau Server Licencing you need make use of tableau postgres repository to identify the login date and time of the user so that based on their login history you can tag with subscriptions table to identify the users who are using subscriptions without logging in

Check the below link about postgres data dictionary

How to access postgres DB: Collect Data with the Tableau Server Repository

Data dictionary of Postgres DB:  Workgroups Database

Some example custom admin views:

Custom Tableau Server Admin Views

Custom Admin Views

Kindly mark this answer as Correct or helpful so that it will help others

BR,

Naveen Bandla

• 3. Re: Implement license policy (server, desktop)
              Pierre-Benoit QUERTON

Hello Kumar,

I like your suggestion of sending an email to users, I did not thought about that

Thanks !

• 4. Re: Implement license policy (server, desktop)
                Pierre-Benoit QUERTON

Hello Naveen,

thanks for you inputs. I've already implemented dashboard monitoring my licenses (desktop and server) usage.

Perhaps I wasn't clear, I was not looking for a technical solution, but more for a example how other companies managed their licenses. Which policies has been implemented, how, etc. ?

Something more governance-oriented

Thank again

Pierre-Benoît

• 5. Re: Implement license policy (server, desktop)
                  Naveen B

Hi Pierre,

the process we follow is

1) We check the Desktop Licensing report about which user is not using the tableau Desktop and we created server admin which user is not logged into server  from past 3 Months

2) I have script which runs daily and send an email to respective business Users whether they are going to use tableau in Future or not with an reminder

3) Once we get back from the users like they are not going to use in future or they didn't reply back in 2 working days.

4) I have written script for tableau desktop silence un-installation and delete the user from the Server

Tableau Desktop Silent Installation/Uninstall : Deploy Tableau Desktop

Tableau Server User delete : I incorporated tabcmd delete command in my script and delete the users.

Hope this helps. Kindly mark this answer as helpful/correct so that it will help others.

BR,

NB