schedule dashboards and reports so that the users get those reports/dashboards through emails.
Have licenses for business critical users not for all
Hope it helps.
Lets break down your question so that i can answer perfectly
- User how haven't used desktop between a period of 30 to 60 days will be notified that their license may be recovered
- User who have not use Tableau over a period of 60 days will be recovered.
> In Order to view the desktop reporting licensing use the below link
It will help you to identify the number of licenses getting used and number of licenses is not getting used in number of days and many more insights you can get from there
- User who have no subscription and has not visited Tableau server for more than 60 days will set to unlicensed. User and site administrator will be notify accordingly.
- User with subscriptions but without visit for the last 30 days will be encouraged to favor interaction with Tableau Server rather than receving an email. In case, the behavior has not changed after an additional period of 30 days, Site Administrator will be contacted to find an alternative to send the subscription the these user to free up server license
>> For Tableau Server Licencing you need make use of tableau postgres repository to identify the login date and time of the user so that based on their login history you can tag with subscriptions table to identify the users who are using subscriptions without logging in
Check the below link about postgres data dictionary
How to access postgres DB: Collect Data with the Tableau Server Repository
Data dictionary of Postgres DB: Workgroups Database
Some example custom admin views:
Kindly mark this answer as Correct or helpful so that it will help others
I like your suggestion of sending an email to users, I did not thought about that
thanks for you inputs. I've already implemented dashboard monitoring my licenses (desktop and server) usage.
Perhaps I wasn't clear, I was not looking for a technical solution, but more for a example how other companies managed their licenses. Which policies has been implemented, how, etc. ?
Something more governance-oriented
the process we follow is
1) We check the Desktop Licensing report about which user is not using the tableau Desktop and we created server admin which user is not logged into server from past 3 Months
2) I have script which runs daily and send an email to respective business Users whether they are going to use tableau in Future or not with an reminder
3) Once we get back from the users like they are not going to use in future or they didn't reply back in 2 working days.
4) I have written script for tableau desktop silence un-installation and delete the user from the Server
Tableau Desktop Silent Installation/Uninstall : Deploy Tableau Desktop
Tableau Server User delete : I incorporated tabcmd delete command in my script and delete the users.
Hope this helps. Kindly mark this answer as helpful/correct so that it will help others.