2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 15, 2018 5:59 AM by Mitchell Hensman

Static vs dynamic dashboard considerations

Mitchell Hensman

Dear community,

I'm new to Tableau and need to produce some static dashboards for reporting purposes, and then move to live dashboards in the future. Are there some common principles to follow that makes switching between static and dynamic more seamless or should I be viewing these as separate activities?

Thanks,

Mitch

• 1. Re: Static vs dynamic dashboard considerations
          Padma Yalavarthi

Hi,

If i understand you question correctly, you want to use static data for development purpose and want to use Live data in future.

Yes you can always change the connection types from extract to live or vice versa in tableau at any point of time.

* An 'extract' connection is a connection with a static database,  All data is copied from the data source to your local Machine or Tableau Server. Refreshing the data source will not give you the latest data - you have to refresh the extract to get these.

Helpful link to get better idea on extract :

Extract Your Data

* A live connection will query the underlying data in the datasource/database - refreshing the visualisation will give you the latest results. No data is copied to Tableau Server for pre-processing.

Is this clear for you?

• 2. Re: Static vs dynamic dashboard considerations
            Mitchell Hensman

Hi Padma,

Sorry, by 'dynamic' I meant interactive; initially, I would like to produce a dashboard that doesn't allow the user to drill down into the data (static) and later convert that into something that can be interrogated by the user.

I'm not sure to what extent I can make a single dashboard that suits both of these purposes or these two things should have rather different design concepts.

Thanks,

Mitch