If you are in 2018.1 there might be a windows update that is causing the error being received when attempting to use option 2.
Another option is to try and make a local copy of any data source that you have then republish them with the workbook.
Another step that could also be taken to troubleshoot is closing the connections one at a time and republishing, or attempting to, after every closure. This will help identify the offending connection and can help us better understand what might be occurring.
I got this error again today, and googled the issue, and ironically it took me back to this post which I had forgotten about.
Patrick: I'm using 2018-1 on Mac OSX High Sierra.
3 of 3 people found this helpful
In our case we actually did change server locations. Below is how we fixed it.
- Go to any worksheet (not story or dashboard)
- In the upper left hand corner there is a list of data sources, right click on any of them
- Click on edit tableau server data connection
- A menu will appear, don’t make any changes, hit OK
- Another menu will appear, if you have multiple data sources, it should ask you if you want to make changes to all the data sources in the workbook, say Ok
- Check that this worked by right clicking on any data source again, select properties, and the server name should now read the new server name