2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 13, 2018 6:48 AM by Zoerab Zakrijev

X-axis date formatting

Zoerab Zakrijev

Hi guys,

I created a view which shows data by months, and applied a custom formatting to show my months (MMM 'YY).

axis-formattingONE.png

But then whenever I go more granular, for instance viewing chart by clicking on these

axis-formattingTWO.png

I lose my custom formatting applied. From here my question, is it possible to keep your custom formatting on x-axis no matter how

granular you go on the view? If not what are the way arounds? (Do I make two-three views and filter them using action links?)

Already tried this method eventhough it's not really applicable to my situation (correct me if I'm wrong): Dynamic Axis Labels/Formatting/Tooltips for Measure Selector

Thank you very much in advance.

With kind regards,

Zoerab

• 1. Re: X-axis date formatting
          Patrick A Van Der Hyde

Hello Zoerab,

Have you tried the option of formatting the tick marks.  It looks like you could edit your X axis to utilize Fixed tick marks to the month level by setting the Tick Origin and then the Interval to 1 month for units. 

Does that work?

Patrick

• 2. Re: X-axis date formatting
            Zoerab Zakrijev

Thank you, Patrick.

I have edited as you have showed, but still, whenever I drill down and drill up, my custom formatting gets reset. What I ideally want is that no matter how granular I go on my view, custom formatting applied: MMM 'YY would be kept as it is defined.

From my experimenting I came to conclusion that this is not possible in tableau, unless I use 3 or 4 different views and link them with a parameter.

But I believe that even then an end-user can just click on the plus and minus signs and replicate the same issue. (Unless I cover plus and minus signs)

With kind regards,

Zoerab