5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 12, 2018 4:55 PM by Olga Yazovskaya

data_connections.table column value is null Always

Olga Yazovskaya

I am looking for a schema and table name for all connections in Tableau, but looks like the value is always null for 'table' column and 'schema' columns doesn't exist.

Does anyone know why?

• 1. Re: data_connections.table column value is null Always
          patrick.byrne.0

Hello Olga,

I believe the table that you actually want to connect to is called datasources, instead of the dataconnections table. More information can be found here: Workgroups Database

Hope this helps!

Cheers,

Byrne, Patrick

• 2. Re: data_connections.table column value is null Always
            Ritesh Bisht

You should have read only access to the PostgreSQL database of the Tableau Server repository

Below is the table name and description provided here for those customers who want to query it for information about their Tableau Server usage. This information is provided with a caution that because the purpose of these tables and views is primarily to support Tableau Server, their structure and contents may change without warning and as a result, any custom views built from them may break.

tablenamecharacter varyingThe name of the table in the database that this connection connects to.

You can contact the admin if you don't see the records against table name which you are supposed to see, please see the definition above.

I do not see anything as schema column under this table , remember "their structure and contents may change without warning"

data_connections: Describes various data sources that are included in either workbooks or datasources.
            NameTypeDescription
            idintegerPrimary key for the record.
            servertextDNS server name to connect to.
            dbclasscharacter varyingType of data connection (ie mysql, postgres, sqlproxy etc).
            portintegerTCP port number of the connection (eg. 5432 for postgres).
            usernametextUsername to use when connecting.
            passwordbooleanTrue means password is embedded in owner (see owner_type and owner_id fields).
            namecharacter varyingUnique identifier for this data_connection.
            dbnamecharacter varyingThe database name to which the particular connection is linked.
            tablenamecharacter varyingThe name of the table in the database that this connection connects to.
            owner_typecharacter varyingOne of "Datasource" or "Workbook". It is the type of object making the data connection.
            owner_idintegerThe ID of the workbook or datasource that is creating the data connection.
            created_attimestamp without time zoneWhen this record was created.
            updated_attimestamp without time zoneWhen this record was last updated.
            captioncharacter varyingFriendly name of this connection as seen in the Desktop data pane.
            site_idintegerA foreign key reference to the site in which this data connection is contained.
            keychaintextEncode string in yaml format. An attribute bag that will match the embedded keychain connection this connection is associated with.
            luiduuidThe locally unique ID, which is intended for exposing externally by the server API. This is automatically generated.
            has_extractbooleanIndicates if the data connection is an extract.
            datasource_idintegerReference to the Datasource that owns this data connection.
            db_subclasscharacter varyingSubclass of the dbclass, for example, dbclass is webdata-direct, db_subclass is intuit-quickbook

Thanks,

Ritesh

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: data_connections.table column value is null Always
              Ritesh Bisht

Hi,

It is a recommended practise to mark the answers accordingly in order to keep our forum clean.

Please mark any of the answer as CORRECT/HELPFUL if it really helped you so that it can help others as well.

Thanks,

Ritesh

• 4. Re: data_connections.table column value is null Always
                Olga Yazovskaya

Hi Ritesh,

Thanks for sharing a detailed response.

I am familiar with the database and its tables and I am the admin and I cannot see any actual table names for the data sources connections.

Do you see table names for your connections?

• 5. Re: data_connections.table column value is null Always
                  Olga Yazovskaya

Hi Patric,

Is it nulls for both data_connections.tablename and for datasources.table_name.

I have contacted tableau support, but the answer was "there is no support for admin views" .

Thank you,

Olga