5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 25, 2018 11:17 AM by Jordan Laughlin

Setting Up Server to Refresh in Parallel?

Jordan Laughlin

I came in to an org with a previously installed server on a VM. Since this was on a VM, regardless of cores (nodes?), we are unable to refresh more than one data source at a time.

I am looking to transition our server to AWS, but I'm very confused about how to set this up so that multiple extracts can refresh in parallel. Any advice?

• 1. Re: Setting Up Server to Refresh in Parallel?
          Michael Gillespie

Extract refreshes are managed by the Backgrounder service (see this page: Tableau Server Processes ).

This is a single-threaded service but you can run multiple instances of it.

You likely only have one instance running: using the tabadmin command set, open a command prompt as an Administrator and run "tabadmin status -v".  That will return a list of all running processes/services.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Setting Up Server to Refresh in Parallel?
            Jay Morehart

It being on a VM is not the (direct) cause of this. I run my Server instance on a vSphere VM with 12 cores, I have 4 backgrounders and they all regularly run in parallel, there are a few things to look at in Tableau before looking at how the VM is set up: (see also: Performance Tuning Examples )

Is this a single node or multi-node installation

Are you on a user-based or core-based license

How many backgrounders do you have set up (each requires a core, and can only run one extract at a time, (I have 4 =  4 parallel extracts)

How are your refreshes scheduled, schedules can be set to serial or parallel, a serial schedule will only ever use 1 backgrounder regardless of how many are available or how many extracts are in that schedule)

if you are the Server admin, you can quickly see how it is configured by going to "All Sites" and then the Status tab:

you should see something like this (note I have 4 backgrounder processes configured and 3 are in use)

If I go to the "Background Tasks for Extracts" view we can see that I have 2 running and 2 pending even though I have 4 backgrounder processes configured, these 2 pending extracts are in a serial schedule

To actually change what processes are configured see Configure Tableau Server

Hope this helps!

• 3. Re: Setting Up Server to Refresh in Parallel?
              Jordan Laughlin

Thanks for info - I do only have one instance of backgrounder running.

Is it possible to increase the number of backgrounder instances on our current setup? I am not sure if I needed to have a distributed install on multiple machines to do this.

• 4. Re: Setting Up Server to Refresh in Parallel?
                Jay Morehart

you do not need a distributed installation, my current installation is a single node with 12 cores.

check out Configure Tableau Server  and Performance Tuning Examples  to find out what will best suit your needs. You can over commit the process (i.e. 4 backgrounders, 2 cache, 2 visql processes on a 6 core system) but realize that you may see some performance degradation depending on how and when your server gets utilized

EDIT

Formatting, Punctuation

• 5. Re: Setting Up Server to Refresh in Parallel?
                  Jordan Laughlin

Jay Morehart wrote:

Is this a single node or multi-node installation

Are you on a user-based or core-based license

How many backgrounders do you have set up (each requires a core, and can only run one extract at a time, (I have 4 = 4 parallel extracts)

How are your refreshes scheduled, schedules can be set to serial or parallel, a serial schedule will only ever use 1 backgrounder regardless of how many are available or how many extracts are in that schedule)

• single node installation
                  • user-based licenses
                  • 1 backgrounder currently
                  • all refreshes are scheduled in parallel
                  • vm is set up with 8 cores

Thank you for all of this info; I'm certainly still learning the server admin side of things. Based on this and the links you provided, it sounds like I can use the server config utility to up the number of backgrounders to 2-4 instances and gauge performance from there.