2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 26, 2018 1:34 AM by Anirban Paul

Automated Importing text data into Tableau

Anirban Paul

Hi All,

I have this monthly text file that gets generated usually on the 1st day of the month in a batch run. This is a file that needs to be imported automatically after the batch run for the team to complete reports that will be used by the team to perform preliminary checks on the data.

How do I automate this import of this file every month, so that the dashboards/reports are refreshed with this automatic upload? Using excel is not scalable as it can't support uploading the data from the text file.

Thanks in advance,

Anirban

• 1. Re: Automated Importing text data into Tableau
          Ken Flerlage

Where does the file get placed every month? Could it be put on a network drive that is accessible to Tableau Server? If so, Tableau Server could have a scheduled extract refresh that simply connects to the file and updates the extract.

• 2. Re: Automated Importing text data into Tableau
            Anirban Paul

Thanks Ken. I'll have to find out about Tableau Server. However right now, in phase 1, I have Tableau Desktop license, and this text file gets saved in a network drive. I have to build an automatic import into Tableau to design a dashboard. So once the automatic import happens after the batch is run on the 1st of every month and the text file saved in the network drive, the dashboard view that I create in Tableau should refresh and update with new data, month on month.