2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 2, 2018 5:13 AM by Endrit Pllashniku

Creating Municipalities map and borders

Endrit Pllashniku

I am trying to build a map of municipalities of Kosovo but Tableau does not recognize 8 municipalities in Kosovo. The other problem I ran into is that when I map some data on municipalities which are recognized by Tableau the borders of the shaded colored polygons do not match the real municipality borders in the map (see the workboook).

Tableau is using the Open Street Map older version of Kosovo map , right now in the Open Street Map website the map of Kosovo contains the other municipalities borders which are not recognized by Tableau.

I need help to figure out how to make tableau recognize all the municipalities in Kosovo according to their correct borders as showed in Open Street Map. I tried to change the background map to use a Mapbox map but it didn't work.

The workbook and data set are attached.

In order for Tableau to recognize some of the municipalities I had to put the Geographic role of the Variable Municipality to State/Province then I selected under Country/Region > Kosovo.

I would really appreciate your help!!

Recognized Municipalites

Decan

Dragash

Drenas

Ferizaj

Fushe Kosove

Gjakove

Gjilan

Istog

Kacanik

Kamenice

Kline

Leposavic

Lipjan

Malisheve

Mitrovice

Novoderde

Obilic

Peje

Podujeve

Prishtine

Prizren

Rahovec

Shterpce

Shtime

Skenderaj

Suhareke

Viti

Vushtrri

Zubin Potok

Zvecan

Unrecognized Municipalities

Gracanica

Hani I Elezit

Junik

Kllokot

Mamushe

Mitrovice E Veriut

Partesh

Raniluk

• 1. Re: Creating Municipalities map and borders
          Don Wise

Hello Endrit,

If you were to try editing the locations, all you'll get is a point referencing the 8 missing municipalities, you won't get a new polygon out of Tableau if it isn't a part of the Open Streetmap collection to begin with.  So your efforts wouldn't be fruitful.  On your behalf I went looking for spatial (.shp) files for Kosovo or even Balklands and found very very few available resources.  The one resource that I did find where I could see some possibilities was this site for the .shp file:  GitHub - justinelliotmeyers/Kosovo_2018_Administrative_Boundaries

While the boundaries looked good, the files aren't useful as the gentleman didn't provide any municipality names to join to your data. The .shp files are simply the polygons with absolutely no attributes whatsoever.  If you have some GIS software such as ArcGIS or QGIS you could potentially download his spatial files and correct the names.  Beyond that I don't have any other useful options for you unless you can find some other spatial files online that might be available and then Tableau could bring that data in. 

That being said, here's a site that I've found very useful over the years for available spatial (.shp) file datasets:  https://freegisdata.rtwilson.com/  You can try searching for Kosovo administrative and/or municipal boundaries off that collection.

Your data would then need to be JOINED to something that matches in the .shp file such as municipality name in order to do what you're trying to build.  Good luck!  Thx, Don

• 2. Re: Creating Municipalities map and borders
            Endrit Pllashniku

Hello Don,

Thank you very much for your response! I have tried to edit the shapefile in QGIS but it seems that the person who created the shapefile has created editing restrictions to the file. I tried to export the coordinates of polygons in csv so I could later recreate the polygons of municipal boundaries in tableau but QGIS didnt allow me to do that due to file protection.

I still haven't solved this problem and its a pity that tableau does not update its default map more frequently to reflect the real situation on ground.

Nevertheless, I deeply appreciate your help and suggestions!

Best.