9 Replies Latest reply on Jun 22, 2018 8:19 AM by Venkat Thota

adjusting space on dashboard but not chart size

Venkat Thota

Hi,

I got the requirement that I have a summary horizontal bar chart on top. Detail vertical bars in the bottom on same dashboard. I need the interactivity between these two charts.

when I click on region in summary, then corresponding charts with subcategory should appear at the top by hiding all the others. How to do it this? Sorry if I didn't explain it nice. I enclosed the images what I need and I enclosed a twbx with sales sample data.

If you see in Doc1 second page, the space between Detail header and charts should go off but the chart size should not change.

• 1. Re: adjusting space on dashboard but not chart size
          Joe Oppelt

Question:  Do you  have the filters working as you need?  When I click Office Supplies, and the top three detail sheets go blank, is that your expected behavior for those three sheets?  (I'm not talking about the positioning of the remaining sheets.  Just the contents of the sheets for now.)  I just want to make sure it's not the filtering that you need addressed.  Just the positioning of the sheets.

We can make the sheets jump around when some go blank.  Let me just make sure that's what you need here.

• 2. Re: adjusting space on dashboard but not chart size
            Venkat Thota

Thank you Joe for your reply.

I am looking for positioning of the sheets. I will take care of data. My original dashboard is showing correct data.

Basically when I open the dashboard, I should get all the charts, top summary sales per region and at the bottom Subcategory's a vertical bars.

when I select a region on top, the detail section should show only subcategories related to that region.

• 3. Re: adjusting space on dashboard but not chart size
              Joe Oppelt

Give me a couple of minutes.  I'll make changes to your dashboard.

• 4. Re: adjusting space on dashboard but not chart size
                Joe Oppelt

For now, I only did this for the first column of sheets.

I floated the three sheets and put a vertical container in the place where those three sheets were.  Then I dragged the three sheets back into that vertical container.  Now they will interact with each other differently.  When they were just tiled into place, they occupied their own space and held onto that space even then the sheet was blank.  But now they "slide" inside the container.

See if the behavior for the first column of sheets does what you expect.

• 5. Re: adjusting space on dashboard but not chart size
                  Venkat Thota

Thank you Joe.

The functionality is what you did is what I want. I tried this approach but I forgot to mention. We have headers between those rows in Details.

attaching a screenshot.

you did the first column but we have to think of first row.

I have first row has 2 subcategories, each has 3 charts as shown in below table.

Accessories
                  Arts
                  sales chartprofit chartdiscount chartsales chartprofit chartdiscount chart
                  AppliancesChairs
                  sales chartprofit chartdiscount chartsales chartprofit chartdiscount chart
                  • 6. Re: adjusting space on dashboard but not chart size
                    Joe Oppelt

the way I did it would allow individual sheets to display or hide.

If you have a text object as a header between rows of sheets, that would suggest that a whole row would have to come and go together.

If that's so, I can do it a different way, but it's a totally different approach.  I'm not sure I have time today for that.  Before I do anything, can you confirm that a whole row will disappear -- all or nothing?

• 7. Re: adjusting space on dashboard but not chart size
                      Venkat Thota

Joe,

whole section (header in text box and all 3 charts) should disappear. not entire row.

lets take an example, when I select a region in summary, that has Appliance and Arts then both should come in a single line on top by hiding accessories and chairs.

another case like a region has Arts and Chairs, those sections should come on top line in a single row by adding other charts.

• 8. Re: adjusting space on dashboard but not chart size
                        Joe Oppelt

You're looking for a behavior that Tableau is not going to do for you.  Not completely anyway.  To have charts jump from one column position to another is not in Tableau's design.

You can sort of get it to happen if you can do it all in one sheet and then do a panel chart, but then the headers will not do what you want them to do.

These charts are (currently) individual sheets.  They aren't cells and won't move around in an excel-like way.

Further, if I were to make those text headers conditionally display, I would really have to do it in a sheet -- one sheet for each chart, and make the sheets display or hide along with the associated bar chart.  (In fact, that's not really hard to do.)

I stepped into this thread because of what you were asking in the original question.  Now the requirements really complicate what you need.  I participate in this forum in my spare time.  (And I don't work for Tableau.)  I like to help out where I can and do what I can when I have time,  But your requirements have grown beyond what I can do in spare-time help.  If we just had sheets sliding up and down within three (or 6) containers positioned side-by-side, I could help you make that work.  The 2-column-with-3-columns requirement that you have described could result in having to display "Chairs" on the left side in one condition and later on the right side under another condition, for example.  It multiplies the complications, and I just don't have the bandwidth to work with you on that.

It might be time for you to pull in some consulting help -- either to redesign your requirements, or to have a dedicated resource to do all the detail work your design will require.

• 9. Re: adjusting space on dashboard but not chart size
                          Venkat Thota

Thank you Joe for the help so far. Appreciate your help.

I told to customer on redesigning the requirement but customer liked this design and wants it this way only. May be we may go for other tool .Net or QlikSense.