4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 20, 2018 9:47 AM by Michael Hesser

Refresh an Excel report using link to Tableau?

naresh.suglani.0

Hi all I've been asked the question if Tableau can be used to refresh reports created in Excel?

For example, embed a chart from Tableau into Excel so that when you fresh it in Tableau it gets updated in Excel.

I'm not sure that is possible but if so would prove quite useful here in the office when sharing reports.

• 1. Re: Refresh an Excel report using link to Tableau?
          Michael Hesser

Hi Naresh-- are you using Server?

With TABCMD you should be able to automate a refresh and download into a PDF of specific worksheets, which you can have linked to your Excel file.

I only have limited experience with Server, so I'm not the best resource for specifics.

You can also do it manually by copying the graph (using something like Snaggit) and overwriting the last file, but it sounds like you want something that's less messy (I don't blame you).

I hope this gives you something to think about. --Michael

• 2. Re: Refresh an Excel report using link to Tableau?
            naresh.suglani.0

Hi Michael yes we're using server here but unsure how to go about exporting a worksheet view to excel that will update automatically when refreshed in Tableau.

• 3. Re: Refresh an Excel report using link to Tableau?
              Sebastian Sofariu

Hi Naresh,

Tableau Desktop is a "read only" visualisation tool without ETL (extract transform and load) capabilities built in.

As a read only tool, Tableau does not have the ability to manipulate data at datasource level and in this case to update it back to Excel.

I hope this information helps.

• 4. Re: Refresh an Excel report using link to Tableau?
                Michael Hesser

I'm going to West Michigan Tableau Users Group on June 29th, and the secnd item on the agenda is:

Demonstration of embedding Tableau visualization in web applications

It seems as this might fit the bill, but since I've yet to attend, I don't know the details

As for refreshing and getting the latest pdf:

You can use TABCMD to refresh a particular view.  Alternatively, you can rely on your Server refresh schedule to keep it up-to-date.

You can also use TABCMD to generate the pdf of the view. I found details here:

Tabcmd for Generating a PDF of a Tableau View and Emailing | Tableau Software

While you won't need to e-mail it, you can use the TABCMD portion to download the newest graph(s).

tabcmd get "/views/Wow/SummaryReports.pdf" -f "progressReport.pdf"

Put the TABCMD program into something like Microsoft Scheduler so that it's kicked off every morning (you can also manually reset it). This ensures your new pdf is saved without you having to touch it.

Link the pdf file as an object in your Excel document; your view should now always be to the most recently saved pdf.

Remember, as a dynamic object, you may run into issues with network permissions: if some viewers don't have access to the drive where the pdf is located, they won't be able to view it. Similarly, some security settings may also prevent it from being viewed.

Hope this helps!