3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 19, 2018 8:52 AM by Mahfooj Khan

Publishing Extracts to server

Tableau learner

Hi,

I have 2 workbooks and both are pointing to the same datasource with same set of tables .

Each workbook is having 2 datasource connection and are using extract.

I have published the 2 extracts to the server from one workbook .since the other workbook is also using same extract ,Do I need to publish again both the extracts ?

Also for a user to run a report ,do I need to give him some access to the extracts in server or only the access in workbook will be fine?

Can anybody plz help me .

Thanks in advance

• 1. Re: Publishing Extracts to server
          Mahfooj Khan

Hi,

You don't need to publish your source again in web server. I guess at workbook level privileges will be enough to see the report.

Mahfooj

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Publishing Extracts to server
            Tableau learner

Thank you so much Mahfooj for your valuable input .

Also If I have to  refresh the extracts each 3 hours,I can do that while publishing the extract right?or Do i need to create separate schedule for refreshing the extracts in server.

Could you please guide me on the correct option.

Thanks in advance.

• 3. Re: Publishing Extracts to server
              Mahfooj Khan

Hi,

Its up to you, while publishing the data source you will get option to schedule the extract to refresh or post publishing you can schedule it. I don't know the size of your extracts and the configuration of web server. If you're using default config then you might have single backgrounder which run your schedule jobs one by one. If you've multiple backgrounders then more than one jobs can be run parallel.

However, you can create a job for all the three extracts and schedule it.

Mahfooj