6 Replies Latest reply on Jun 19, 2018 5:57 AM by Radu Maftei

Error on publishing workbook

Radu Maftei

Hello,

When I try publishing my workboooks on Tableau Server I get the following error:

Error(8936,238): attribute 'parent-model' is not declared for element 'column' (id: )

Does anyone where this comes from?

My version is Tableau Desktop 2018.01 And Tableau Server 10.5 Linux.

Thank you.

• 1. Re: Error on publishing workbook
          Mavis Liu

Hi Radu,

The issue is that your desktop is newer than your server, in order to publish, please downgrade your workbook to 10.5:

2018-06-18_14h20_28.png

Thanks,

Mavis

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Error on publishing workbook
            Sebastian Sofariu

Hi Radu,

The error is displayed because the workbook is published from a newer Tableau Desktop version to an older Tableau Server version.

You can publish workbooks and data sources to Tableau Server if the version of Tableau Server is the same or newer than the version of Tableau Desktop.

If Tableau Desktop 10.5 is not installed in your computer, you can download and installed Tableau Desktop 10.5 from Release page below. (You can have multiple Tableau Desktop versions installed on the same computer).

Tableau Desktop

From Tableau Desktop 2018.1, export the workbook as 10.5 version, as Mavis mentioned.

Open the workbook in Tableau Desktop 10.5.

Publish the workbook on Tableau Server 10.5 using Tableau Desktop 10.5

The article below provide more info about compatibility between Tableau Desktop and Tableau Server

Compatibility between Tableau Desktop and Tableau Server

I hope it helps

Multumesc

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Error on publishing workbook
              Radu Maftei

Hello/Salut

Thank you for your responses.

Unfortunately when i go to File > Export as Version > 10.5 i get the exact same error.

Is it possible to be from the data sources? (all MySQL databases)

Is it an solution to look for the 2018.1 features and delete them in order to match the 10.5 version? (I got +15 worksheets so this would take time.)

• 4. Re: Error on publishing workbook
                Sebastian Sofariu

Hi Radu,

First, make sure you have a copy of the workbook. It's always a good work practice to have a backup when you have conversion errors.

Try one more time by opening Tableau Desktop 2018.1 as administrator and select again "Export as Version".

If you still have the issue, I recommend to open a case with support.

Start a Case

Make sure you attach the Desktop log files to the case and include detailed info about the issue,

Sending Tableau Desktop Log Files

Thanks

• 5. Re: Error on publishing workbook
                  Chris McClellan

Along with all the other great replies, you can also try downloading Desktop 10.5, opening the downgraded workbook with that and then publishing.

• 6. Re: Error on publishing workbook
                    Radu Maftei

Hello all,

Thank you for your time and responses. They all helped my in finding the problem.

I found the problem in one of my dashboards, where there was an filter existing on clusters (Analytics -> Cluster).

This was causing the error : Error(8936,238): attribute 'parent-model' is not declared for element 'column' (id: )

After deleting the filter from the dashboard i could even publish with 2018.1 on an 10.5 Server .

Maybe the dashboard didn't connected properly to the respective workbook? Does anyone has any ideea of why this happened. The initial problem is solved but I am just curious why this happened.

As note, the filter was working properly on the dashboard.