4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 15, 2018 6:06 AM by ShivaRam Chennapragada

Web Authoring and Permissions - Urgent help!

ShivaRam Chennapragada

Hi All,

I ran into a strange problem here, we have a new Tableau user with a Server license and permission to Author/Edit views in the web. We've set her "Site Role" as a "Publisher" and is part of her department's project area (group). Like so,

Her permissions to project area are like so,

Though she's able to create a view from the Published data source, for some reason she's unable to "Save As" to her Project Area although she's setup as Publisher. When we hover over the "Save As" popup the project areas she has permissions to are greyed out and with a message "You do not have permission to save to this project area".

I have tried this with other user, but they were able to save the workbook. Am I missing something?

P.S: We had Web Authoring turned off all these days, she is the first user we're trying this feature on.

Hope this information helps.

Thank you,

Shiva.

• 2. Re: Web Authoring and Permissions - Urgent help!
          Donna Coles

Hi there

I don't have an answer, but here are some additional troubleshooting/fact finding steps you can try...

1) can the user with the issue, save to any other project areas using Web Edit?

- if so, is this an existing project created before you switched web edit on or one created after?    

2) can the user with the issue publish to the project using Tableau Desktop?

3) confirm what version of Tableau Server you're using

4) was the user who is able to do it created before or after you switched the web edit function on?

5) what browser is being used and can you try with a different browser perhaps?

6) can the user who is able to do it, stil do it if they use the machine belonging to the other one and vice versa?

I doubt it is anything to do with the machine itself (ie points 5 & 6), but it's worth double checking.  I'm wondering if there is something a bit mixed up due to the timing of user creation / project creation and then enabling the web edit functions.

Donna

• 3. Re: Web Authoring and Permissions - Urgent help!
            ShivaRam Chennapragada

Donna- Thanks for responding. Please find my responses below

1) can the user with the issue, save to any other project areas using Web Edit?- if so, is this an existing project created before you switched web edit on or one created after?  

- No, user has permissions to publish only one project area and permissions to view other project areas. However all are grayed out.

2) can the user with the issue publish to the project using Tableau Desktop?

- User doesn't have a Desktop.

3) confirm what version of Tableau Server you're using

- We're on 10.5.2

4) was the user who is able to do it created before or after you switched the web edit function on?

- She's the first user we're experimenting this on. If this doesn't work the way we want, plan B is to give her a desktop license.

5) what browser is being used and can you try with a different browser perhaps?

- We've tried both IE and Chrome.

6) can the user who is able to do it, stil do it if they use the machine belonging to the other one and vice versa?

- Haven't tried this, but will give it a shot.

Hope this information helps. I'm gonna try couple other things and will update you guys. Thanks once again for the help.

UPDATE - Resolved just after posting the reply.

Best,

Shiva.

• 4. Re: Web Authoring and Permissions - Urgent help!
              ShivaRam Chennapragada

Hi Ritesh,

Thanks for the prompt response. I tried the 3rd solution as I am typing this and it worked. She was added to an "Interactor" group initially, now I added her to publisher group and it worked. Though she's setup as a publisher, looks like the group permissions were overriding her individual permissions.

Thank you,

Shiva.