1 Reply Latest reply on Jun 14, 2018 4:19 PM by swaroop.gantela

Filtering for multiple measures

david white

Hello all,

For the sake of an example...

I've got a table cataloging a painting id number and (up to) 5 colors in the painting.

I've got a second table that lists all the possible colors and the identification letter used to find them. (a = red, b = blue, etc...)

A user should be able to go to a dropdown / multi-value filter and select the checkbox(es) of the colors they want to search for.

A user should be able to type in either the identification letter or the name of the color in the filter.

The filter should search across all five possible measures where color could be stored

Assume that there are over 10,000 possible colors from which to choose.

I know how I would do this in sql but I'm having trouble getting Tableau to play nicely.

I've been toying with parameters and calculated fields and having no luck.

I've debated about creating multiple joins against the color table (one on each of the color measures but that seems horribly inefficient since my actual color table has almost 15,000 entries.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

dw

Example:

User enters in a in the search and clicks the checkbox for "a - red", then refreshes filter

Result is a list of every painting ID number that has red in either of the five color fields

Example 2: A user selects 'a - red' and 'b - blue' from the dropdown; then refreshes filter

Result is a list of every painting ID number that has red or blue in either of the five color fields.