4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 14, 2018 10:12 AM by Chris Tsui

Folders in Extract after refresh

Chris Tsui

Hello,

I've been trying to work out an issue that I can't quite seem to nail down. It seems simple enough but I'm not entirely sure where I'm going wrong.

I have a workbook that's connected to an extract which I use to refresh the extract monthly.

So each month I'll open the workbook and I'll simply hit Data > Refresh all Extracts.

After this refresh is complete, I'll save the work book (which to my understanding commits the changes to the extract from a temp file)

I can verify that when I do this, the extract data has been refreshed as it lines up to the updated month's data.

However what I find is the folder structure of the extract goes away. When I connect via the original work book I can see the folders still, however when I create a new work book and connect directly to the extract I do not see the folders.

Am I missing something here? Is there a way for me to refresh the extract and maintain the folder structure?

• 1. Re: Folders in Extract after refresh
          Mavis Liu

Hi Chris,

Would you be able to explain more about what you mean when you say folder structure?

Could you apply some screenshots? What data source is the extract related to?

Thanks,

Mavis

• 2. Re: Folders in Extract after refresh
            Chris Tsui

Hi Mavis,

I've attached a screenshot of what I'm referring to, I used the superstore example where the folders are "Customer/Order/Location/Product"

We have setup similar folders, but when we refresh the extract we lose the folder structure and all the dimensions simply show up as a list. I checked the "group by folder" option to make sure it wasn't something like that, but that was selected.

Folders.PNG

• 3. Re: Folders in Extract after refresh
              Mavis Liu

Hi Chris,

So just to clarify, the folders remain in the workbook after refreshing extracts. However when you open a new workbook and connect to the extract it doesn't have the folders?

Because if that's the case, I don't believe the folder structure is stored on the extract level, it's stored on the workbook level.

Thanks,

Mavis

• 4. Re: Folders in Extract after refresh
                Chris Tsui

Thanks Mavis,

I think we were looking for the folder structure at the extract level, since its not stored at this level. I think I'll need to explore creating a TDS to this extract and hopefully this will be the solution for us.

Thanks again!