8 Replies Latest reply on Jul 18, 2018 11:08 AM by Russell Hanson

Make Date Parameters Dynamic for All Worksheets on Dashboard

Russell Hanson

Hi all,

Pretty much what it says in the title. I have been using Tableau for awhile but more for just presenting charts etc. on separate dashboards. I am finally trying to dive into dynamic dashboards and utilize Tableau's full capabilities, but am having zero luck searching how to create the dynamics across all worksheets on a dashboard at once. I have a feeling this isn't that hard, but I just haven't been able to find a decent resource.

My goal is to create date parameters that when selected, change all worksheet charts on my dashboard at once. These worksheets will all be using the same data source so it seems like it shouldn't be that difficult.

Is there a resource that explains how to do this someone can point me to? Any advice would be appreciated. Hate to start a new thread but I need to get moving on this. All I have been able to find just points to individual worksheets.

• 1. Re: Make Date Parameters Dynamic for All Worksheets on Dashboard
          Mavis Liu

Hi Russell,

You can create a parameter - which is essentially just a list of items. Then create a calculated field using this parameter, and set it as a filter for any worksheet you want.

You cant then apply this to multiple worksheets or everything using the same/related (blended) data source.

Please see attached where I have created a date parameter, then a calculated field which says:

2018-06-12_17h41_12.png

Then put this on the filters shelf and set it to true. Then right clicking on this gives you options on using this filter on other shelves:

2018-06-12_17h40_10.png

You can create multiple calculated related to the same parameter. The parameter is just a list of items and the calculations link it back to the dataset.

Thanks,

Mavis

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Make Date Parameters Dynamic for All Worksheets on Dashboard
            Jim Dehner

Good morning Russell

Interesting that you selected parameters as the tool - Parameters are by their nature global and static means for the user to input a single value - global in they apply across the entire workbook - that said parameters don't do anything by themselves -

They must be backup with a calculation or a filter and that is what actually uses the value that the user input

now to your question

if you want to apply the parameter value on sheets 1 3 and 5 in your workbook (and dashboard) then build the parameter value into a calculation that you use on those sheets

likewise if you don't want it to apply to sheets 2 4 and 6 - don't use it in calculations or filters on those sheets - note the calculations and filters can be different  on different or even the same sheet

If you want to pass filters (not necessarily tied to a parameter) you have 2 options - Dashboard or worksheet Action - or you can apply the filters directly from one sheet to another

a place to start is on the tableau web sit - training

Jim

If this posts assists in resolving the question, please mark it helpful or as the 'correct answer' if it resolves the question. This will help other users find the same answer/resolution.  Thank you.

• 3. Re: Make Date Parameters Dynamic for All Worksheets on Dashboard
              Bryce Larsen

Hi Russell,

Welcome aboard! Create my date functions are typically the very first thing I do when starting a workbook.

I usually start with two Parameters:

• PA_DateType: Most Recent or custom
              • PA_DatePicker: exactly what it says - a calendar that lets users select any date

Based on the Date Type the user selects, I then store this value in a field I call CF_ReportDate. You must truncate either value to the period type of your choice (weekly, monthly) to use appropriately. Once you have done this, you can then base all of your Date Filters off this:

Then you can place these on your different vizzes as necessary.

• 4. Re: Make Date Parameters Dynamic for All Worksheets on Dashboard
                Russell Hanson

All, I apologize I have been unable to get back on this thread yet. I got hit with fire drills this week and haven't had a chance to go through all these replies. The replies look awesome btw, I will be sure acknowledge you all appropriately when I can. Appreciate all the responses very much.

--Russ

• 5. Re: Make Date Parameters Dynamic for All Worksheets on Dashboard
                  Russell Hanson

Thank you Mavis Liu. Really appreciate your time here it was very helpful.

• 6. Re: Make Date Parameters Dynamic for All Worksheets on Dashboard
                    Russell Hanson

Jim, apparently I can only choose one answer as correct. Appreciate your detailed help here.

Cheers!

• 7. Re: Make Date Parameters Dynamic for All Worksheets on Dashboard
                      Russell Hanson

Bryce, your answer is correct also but again I can only apparently choose one in the thread as correct.

Thanks for the time and effort here it was very helpful.

Regards,

Russ.

• 8. Re: Make Date Parameters Dynamic for All Worksheets on Dashboard
                        Russell Hanson

Just wanted to say thanks again to everybody, and especially Mavis. Your directions and examples could not have been more helpful. This is a great reference thread for others just getting going with parameters and calculated fields.

Thanks again!

--Russ